Texas Fishing Forum

Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom

Posted By: PKfishin

Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom - 06/07/18 06:59 PM

I decided at the last moment to do a little fishing yesterday evening. I caught a little over a dozen small perch and headed out to one of my shady Crappie fishing spots and decided to fish there until dark then head for some lighted docks where I have caught a few fish lately. I'd marked some fish there hanging deep and figured they were stripers eating my Crappie. I barely got the first pole in the water when the drag started screaming out. I fought this fish for 5 minutes or so and he broke off after tangling me in a dock cable. I grabbed another pole that was rigged up and put another perch in the water while I re-rigged the pole with the broken line. The minute I got that pole to the depth I was marking fish ( 39 feet) fish on. Got this one in, but he had roughed up the line so I set this pole down to cut some of the mono off and grabbed a third pole that was rigged up. Once again, as soon as I got that perch to depth it was fish on. I never got two poles in the water. I was never given the peace to finish rigging the ones with roughed up or broken line. I lost two stripers and caught five in about an hour or so.

I have seen stripers hit like that with live shad but never with perch. I had a couple of the stripers drop the Perch after I tried to set the hook and then come back and take it the second time. I caught two stripers on one perch. If the stripers persist in wanting perch it s fine with me. Perch are easy to come by and almost never die in the bait tank.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom - 06/07/18 07:36 PM

Kerry and I had a good morning at Pk a while back with perch as bait. Although I could watch them on my sonar come up and about every third fish would go back down without hitting a bait. When they did hit it was a hard hit and screaming drag. The hybrid I’ve been catching are on perch also. I caught my limit this morning in 15 minutes.
Nice fish and pics!
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom - 06/07/18 08:41 PM

Jobo: Not good enough with the electronics to see them hit but I am sure OK fishing with Perch. Good thing, as shad are hard to come by.
Posted By: rdmac

Re: Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom - 06/08/18 12:39 AM

Great post. Love using perch for hybrids and stripers!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Quick Limit of Stripers at Possum Kingdom - 06/08/18 05:21 AM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum