Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texoma- Sunday

Posted By: pdeibert001

Lake Texoma- Sunday - 05/07/18 05:06 PM

Launched at 6:45 form Grandpappy point and noticed shad running the banks. Whipped out the cast net and in three throws had really nice big threadies. Shad are on the spawn so look for the egrets on the shore spearing them.
Headed out to the boat show on Table top but was not marking any fish. Lots of boats sitting right on top of each other. We drifted off to the east with not even a nibble.
Went up to Washita point and started to drift the flats, 28 feet of water and caught some dinks. Started to go up toward Catfish bay but noticed the chocolate milk water running from the river. It had stained the lake all the way down past Washita Point.
Headed over to Millers cove and marked great fish in 60 feet of water. Could not get a bite. Did managed to net about 20 gizzards as they were passing by in a big school.
Went over by the pump station and tried to catch catfish on cut bait. No takers.
Finally ran down to Perots old house and trolled the rip rap......still nothing.
Called it a day and headed home......
Posted By: GreenSprint

Re: Lake Texoma- Sunday - 05/07/18 07:32 PM

If you got to Alberta Creek just past Washita early Saturday morning there was lots of action, but you are right once the milky Washita soup flowed down that afternoon the fishing was pretty much done in that part of the lake. Lots of boats there at Alberta Creek between 7 and 11am. I caught a nice 7 lb'er and one even bigger that my girlfriend knocked off with the net. She's still learning that technique but the important thing is she's a willing participant! I told her if we see the fish it counts! Absolutely perfect day to be out on the water either way.
Posted By: Brocephus

Re: Lake Texoma- Sunday - 05/09/18 04:53 PM

Man I hate to say it but it makes me feel a little better to read this post. I was out on Texoma Sunday and had similar results. Such a beautiful day, calm, light breeze, perfect temps, sunny.... I don't normally get to run all over the lake like I did Sunday because my 18 foot Majek Redfish Line is not built for Texoma chop when the wind is over 15 - 18 mph. But here I was, sleepless the night before because of my excitement, and dying to be on the water since I've only gotten out on the boat twice this year... It's hard to get out with a toddler at home! But I just KNEW today was the day, the past 2 or 3 skunkings I've experienced at Texoma were surely a fluke, right? I was gonna hammer em'.

Nope.. Got off to a late start because my fishing partner was without a car, and I had to go way out of the way to pick him up, then he just HAD to stop at a gas station.... anyway, finally launched out of Eisenhower by 8 AM, an hour later than I'd hoped for. Started fishing the main lake points of the coves up shallow with top waters working my way towards Perot Point. Got to Perot Point and there were big pods of spawning shad EVERYWHERE, and I thought surely there would be striper under them. Nothing doing there so I worked my way to the back of Perot Cove because I'd read that Striper were up shallow early and I could entice them with a Zara Spook. Tried sassy shad and top waters there and then trolled over to the next cove with an A-rig and hellpet but only managed to catch a dink Kentucky Bass. So I had a buddy that was in his Boston Whaler way over west of Table Top and Preston Point fishing on the Oklahoma shoreline, called me and said there was a boat show and some catching going on, so I decided I needed to head over there. Problem was, I figured I'd catch some shad first and then try one more spot on the way. Managed a few shad in the livewell (which is rare for me because I suck at throwing my too large cast net), and then struck out at my next stop, which was point and hump on the north side of the dam. Right about at Preston Point, this is about 10 AM by this point, I finally saw a flock of birds and there was one boat on them hooked up with a fish. I stopped and eased up and managed to catch my one decent fish of the day, a 16' inch Striper on a double rigged tandem sassy shad set up. Then the birds disappeared and I wasn't marking any, despite the guide boat and other boat both being hooked up. My buddy called me again and said that I'd better hurry because he was still catching them. I went to the next boat show near table top, and nobody was catching anything, so I finally ran way, way West to where he was, and all the boats were gone but him and two or three others. He caught one more fish and we didn't managed another bite. I take that back, we did catch about a 4 and 1/2 Striper on a Hellpet spoon. There were still a few big pods of shad swimming around, but it seems the fish had moved on. It was about 12:00 PM by then and the wife was texting me furiously saying the baby was on a rampage... time to go... lol.

Really disappointing day, makes me wish I had run over to the boat shows first, instead of wasting so much time in the backs of coves and trying to catch shad. It really was a beautiful day and I enjoyed burning some gas, but I am lying every. single. time. I say "Oh well I just enjoy being out here". Yes, I enjoy being out here, but it goes by too fast and I HATE not catching fish! Haha... guess that's my competitiveness? Guess that's why they call it - fishin'. And of course when I get home and check the fishing forums, it seemed like EVERYONE had a good day but me... well, not everyone apparently. smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum