Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek Fishing Report May 5.6.2018

Posted By: 4x4

Cedar Creek Fishing Report May 5.6.2018 - 05/07/18 01:45 PM

My day started by picking up my good friend Charlie, at CC at 6am. It's been a couple months since we fished together. I launched the Ranger at the public ramp on Hwy198. My plan today was to catch a few Crappie AM, and Sand Bass fish in the afternoon. 1st Stop was main lake brush piles, the Crappie were in 13 to 18 FOW. After 2 1/2 hours ,we finally had 16 good Crappie in the box. All of these fish were caught on 2, 1/6 ounce gray jigs on 6 lb test. These jigs are tied about 12 to 15 inches apart. Usually I could cast and let the jigs fall, watching the line as the jigs would fall around these brush piles. Today was a little different. Dead Sticking seem to work the best . Dead Sticking is when the jigs are dropped straight to the bottom and then reeling up one to two reels off the bottom, holding the rod tip about a foot off the water, and holding the rod dead still. The bite will be a tick, at that point, it's fish on! And yes, I did lose several jigs in the brush. If you can find brush piles with your locator, you will usually catch fish . Not all brush piles produce fish. Just keep moving to another spot. 2nd Stop, I decided to do a little Sand Bass fishing, the east end of Long Ridge has always been a reliable spot, after running the locator , the fish had moved. So I decided to run the locator over Sams Hump and start in 14 to15 FOW , on the Sound end. What I didn't realize, I had found several schools of fish all the way out to 30 FOW. The locator was all most black. I knew those fish would move sooner or later. And they did, Unusual find for me, on this day , it was good to be lucky. After catching a limit of CC huge Sand Bass, it was time to head home. All of these fish were caught on Cotton Cordell, small, silver, jigging spoon. And my go to bait, #4 silver Mepps, 10lb test, off the bottom, I' m letting the Mepps go to the bottom, with rod tip pointed at the bait. Turning the reel handle 2 or 3 times, the fish may want it slower or faster. Next I disengage the reel letting the Mepps fall back to the bottom. Most of my fish come when I engage the reel to retrieve the bait from the bottom. This will vary as the weather changes. I do this type presentation all the way back to the boat. Good Day , CC keeps on producing , good fish and great memories for friends and family !
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Cedar Creek Fishing Report May 5.6.2018 - 05/08/18 10:27 AM

Nice report. Looks like you got the Mepps technique down!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum