Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon Lake White Run

Posted By: wgpj

Canyon Lake White Run - 03/12/18 07:43 PM

Just wondering if it is happening? I haven't send any reports about upriver or the rapids. I imaging the emerging stumps might be keeping some from heading up. Like me.
Posted By: KMHendu

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/12/18 09:13 PM

It was very tough this weekend for myself and a friend. We trolled up to the rapids, hooked one on way up there and he came unbuttoned. Got up there we caught 3 casting in about an hour and trolled back to the Rebecca Creek boat ramp. Caught a couple of largemouth on the troll on the way back, hit a brush pile for a couple of crappie(not keepers) and that was about it. Might want to fish the lake and hit some windy points. Not sure why the fishing is so tough up there right now. Probably a combination of factors such as dropping water level and we did have a very cold winter for southTexas. Maybe I’m just making excuses for not catching very many fish lately.

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/13/18 01:44 PM

Thanks for the report. Better luck next time
Posted By: Fish Inspector

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/13/18 03:45 PM

We have been still catching some fish.
It's no where what is was but.....

Wife/I fished Saturday 3-6:30 and we landed over 10.

2 Mini Stripes, 1 (big) Crappie, 8-9 Whites.
Some of the whites were jumbo females.

The bite turned on late, as we had 4-5 the first two hours.
No schooling action where I was.
Billions boats and some nuts out.

We trolled Shad Rap type lures / Umbrella Rigs.
Both long line and deeper Lead Core.

FI

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/14/18 10:21 PM

Thanks for the report. Were you upriver or in the lake? Just haven't heard much from the rapids this year.
Posted By: Gnab2

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/15/18 05:12 PM

All the ones I have found have been closer to brush piles. Not much top water action.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Canyon Lake White Run - 03/16/18 04:07 AM

Dunno if the run is on. Temps were 60-61 today above Cranes Mill Point. Spent all day and only got 3 whites. Nothing in the morning calms. Winds really kicked up mid-morning. Headed up the mouth around timbers....lotsa graph traffic but none found my lines. Afternoon calm got three whites along bluffs all on Rapala minnow cranker. Odd day wind-wise....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum