Texas Fishing Forum

Is the sandbass run over??

Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/08/18 04:40 PM

I went down to my local creek yesterday anf could not buy a bite. Fry everywhere along the shoreline. I was there a few days ago and was slaying the sandies. Wth? Anyone know? Im referring to whiskey flatts out of benbrook
Posted By: FishnDenton

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/08/18 08:02 PM

Still on in the Denton area. Caught a bunch last night.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/08/18 08:13 PM

Some probably spawned already, but they don't all spawn at once. More will likely come up the creek to do their thing this month.
Posted By: Mikeyb_23

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/08/18 08:51 PM

I was hoping to try out that area tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/08/18 08:59 PM

Yeah.....highly doubt it, likely just getting started, ours up here peaks in mid April, probably just an off day.....I doubt very many, and I’m guessing less than 10% have done their thing this early in the run. Cast net some minners and bump them on the bottom and see if you pick some up.
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/09/18 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input folks. This is my first one and i know that timing is key. Does cold fronts affect the bite?
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/09/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"
Thanks for the input folks. This is my first one and i know that timing is key. Does cold fronts affect the bite?

They sure can.

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/09/18 08:48 PM

I tried it out this morning and didnt get a bite. One guy had caught a couple early in the morning. Only fished about a hour or so. I dont remember it being so shallow.
Posted By: KBW

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/11/18 09:54 PM

Little males in my creek in NE Texas

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/14/18 01:51 PM

Any updates? Might try in the morning.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/14/18 01:52 PM

They are in and have been in the creeks for weeks. Just have to get out and find the right spot.
Posted By: Treadlightly2

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/14/18 09:25 PM

Put my kayak in at 10 mile bridge road between Lake Worth and Eagle Mountain for my first trip in my new to me Tarpon 12. Paddled up to the dam from there and down a ways. Final total for the day? One measly sand bass. Did not get skunked and have officially caught fish in the yak.
Posted By: fishforken

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 03:15 AM

I went out on a creek on Lewisville last week but only caught 3 small male sandbass. Hoping the rain tonight/tomorrow will get the water flowing and bring the sandbass run into full swing. I do not think the run is over yet.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 03:31 AM

I think it’s in a lull. Probably need a good little rain to restock the creeks
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 11:07 AM

Just getting started on the lakes.
Johnny
Posted By: slim1

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 11:59 AM

My sons went to the creek yesterday and brought home 50 Sandies caught on minnows. Left them biting.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 01:09 PM

Its over. No need to check the creeks anymore.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 02:41 PM

Not even started at PK yet. I've caught a few males up in the creeks crappie fishing but they are not there yet in numbers. By mid April my fish finder will completely fill in those areas and it won't be carp.

April is always better than march.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/27/18 08:16 PM

Weird year fish have been thick in the creeks. I mean head to tail Since the end of January. With several really good timing of rain the last few years numbers are way up there are still fish moving up everywhere. Watched them run up a riffle with their back out of the water right at dark last night by the thousands before the rain even. There should be several more surges of fish. The really good size females have only been showing their face consistently the last two weeks.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/28/18 02:55 PM

I bet the full moon this weekend will help. Not so sure about all the mud from all this rain though?
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/28/18 04:59 PM

I'm glad it's ran a little late this year. Starting vacation Monday. Seems like most years it's about done by now.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/28/18 07:52 PM

The spawn should be more "complete" the farther south one goes, still plenty of time for places like PK and many others.

Males head up several weeks before the females.

Here on Lake Athens, lacking any creeks/rivers to run up into for their spawn, they showed up in great numbers over the 3 Day President Holiday weekend about, what, a month ago, way up in the NW cove.

It was epic. I fished over those 3 days, for about a total of 6 or so hours, caught 45. I don't think a single one of them was less than 15". For such lakes, it is often quality over quantity, less interspecific competition as Richard Ott at TPWD mentioned so they grow really big fattening up in deeper waters over the year leading up to the spawn.

Photo of one of the larger ones next to my 13" boot.

Brad

Posted By: Treadlightly2

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/29/18 03:31 AM

I caught females with eggs today in a DFW feeder creek so I'm thinking no it's definitely not over. With this rain I expect a fresh charge up the creeks to spawn. FYI crappie too.
Posted By: BMART

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/29/18 07:24 PM

Posted By: BMART

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/29/18 07:25 PM

Creek Sandies last sunday, they are in there
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Is the sandbass run over?? - 03/31/18 05:30 AM

Definitely not over in my neck of the woods... pretty much $ time!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum