Texas Fishing Forum

How to prevent get bite from Ticks

Posted By: Viet Crew

How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 05:21 AM

This time of the year when I am more active outdoor, on Sunday I went out to Rowlett Creek no fish but I had got a ticks bite me mad . Does anyone know how to prevent it from future bites???
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 12:52 PM

Bug spray?
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 12:56 PM

They like damp weather is what I have heard.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 01:15 PM

Take an empty jug with you, and don't get out of the boat and walk around on the bank. wink
Deep Woods OFF.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 06:45 PM

dust sulphur powder on socks and pants legs...
Posted By: JCG57

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 08:24 PM

Spray high concentration of DEET on shoes, socks and pants. Deep Woods OFF works for me.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Take an empty jug with you, and don't get out of the boat and walk around on the bank. wink
Deep Woods OFF.

rowlett creek is a bank spot..
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 08:28 PM

Long pants, long sleeves, pull socks over pants. Bug spray. And try to stay out of the super thick stuff.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 09:24 PM

Folks this is a serious deal. I have a friend in ICU right now in Houston fighting for her life do to lymes contracted 4 yrs ago from one tiny tick bite. Mother of two kids. This has been an eye opner to me for sure.
Posted By: Near Nuthin'

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 10:03 PM

I used know some guys who frequently had to work in heavy brush/vegetation that strapped a flea/tick collar around their ankles. (outside of pants) Never tried it myself but they swore by the tick collars.
Posted By: bluesea112

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/27/18 11:04 PM

Sulphur powder dusted on your waistline and pants leg works great. It keeps the chiggers off to. Just put the sulphur powder in an old sock and dab the sock around your waistline, pants legs, and shirt sleeves. REPEL insect repellent works great to. Just don't get the REPEL on your bait or line. If you get insecticide on your hands then wash them with soap and water before you bait your hook or tie on a lure. Fish like the taste of DEET about as much as Mohamed likes the taste of pork.
Posted By: pop r

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/28/18 12:26 AM

thumb Ditto: (bluesea112. comment) This has always worked for me and the Sulphur can be washed from the clothing easily and leaves no stains.
Posted By: Viet Crew

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/28/18 03:15 AM

Thank you guys, this might be something not important to other people. Small little bug bites doesn't hurt but the disease it can be very dangerous. you may laugh now but when it happened to you, you might have a 2nd thought about it. I don't want take any chances please share your knowledge how to prevent Lyme disease. This not just for my self but for many others that wants take care them self. Much appreciated!
Posted By: sae

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/28/18 04:06 AM

in the boy scouts we used a sock flled with sulpher to dust ouer socks ,seemeded to work.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/28/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Viet Crew
Thank you guys, this might be something not important to other people. Small little bug bites doesn't hurt but the disease it can be very dangerous. you may laugh now but when it happened to you, you might have a 2nd thought about it. I don't want take any chances please share your knowledge how to prevent Lyme disease. This not just for my self but for many others that wants take care them self. Much appreciated!

See my post above. Lymes is very scary
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 02/28/18 05:42 PM

Get 10% pyrethrin at Tractor Supply. Dilute it according to instructions. Spray heavily on outside of clothing. Let it dry before wearing it. Then I spray 100% DEET on shoes.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 03/01/18 01:55 AM

Permethrin. You can get the premixed stuff (Sawyer brand is pretty common) or you can buy concentrate and dilute it down. You spray your clothes until they are damp and allow them to dry. I think it lasts 5-6 washings before you have to reapply.
Posted By: NightStalker79

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 03/06/18 03:49 AM

Also, ticks don't exchange saliva (and bacteria) until they are dug in good. If you (and a partner) will check yourself within 2 hours of exposure, you will find they can easily be picked off. No need to do the match or oil removal.
Posted By: NightStalker79

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 03/06/18 03:51 AM

Also, ticks don't exchange saliva (and bacteria) until they are dug in good. If you (and a partner) will check yourself within 2 hours of exposure, you will find they can easily be picked off. No need to do the match or oil removal.

I Missouri they did not crawl up from the grass, they would drop on you from the trees. Yuck!
Posted By: Lewis Perry

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 03/12/18 11:01 PM

Ditto on Lymes disease. It is bad stuff-my son in law has had for a few years. He went 5 yrs . without a diagnosis. Spent 10 days in Mayo-Clinic in Rochester Mn. and they missed it completely. Finally found a Dr. in Columbia Mo. that specializes in Lymes and is doing better but he still has some really bad days. Have 4 other friends in our little town that also has the disease. Key is to have early diagnosis and early treatment. The medical community seems to be much more aware of it now than when my son-in- law contracted it. If you have been bitten by a tick watch closely for symptoms. And seek medical advice if you exhibit any symptoms.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: How to prevent get bite from Ticks - 03/12/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Viet Crew

Mosquitos annually kill more people worldwide than all other diseases combined, and they are little creatures...got to take this stuff seriously...my best friend during childhood, got Lyme disease while hiking Mineral Wells state park...he was never the same afterwards.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum