Texas Fishing Forum

Canyon Lake limits!

Posted By: Southtxangler22

Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 07:02 PM

Cold, cloudy, drizzle, low winds... absolutely perfect day to fish canyon lake. I noticed some top water action as I launched the boat.. when I got too the ripples more and more whites were turning on and feeding. Had a limit of whites by 8:30am. Left them to go find the striper. Made it around cranes mill point and the birds were hitting the water. Made 15 or so casts and had my limit of striper by 9:15.. as the wind picked up, I kept moving from calm water areas too the next and consistently finding fish and catching them. Not sure how many were caught after the limits, but I throw back everything anyway so it was just for fun! Canyon is still fishing good!
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 07:03 PM

clap thumb
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 07:55 PM

Awesome fishing it sounds like thumb
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 07:56 PM

You make it sound easy. Congrats on a awesome day fishing in mid Feb.

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 08:51 PM

Canyon Lake is either really good (easy).. or extremely frustrating. It has the ability to hide fish like no other lake lol.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 10:36 PM

Nice post. Good job. thumb
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 10:44 PM

thumb

That can be a tough lake...
The scenery is hard to beat
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/13/18 11:10 PM

thumb
Posted By: chascat

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/14/18 03:09 PM

Good job. Thanks for the report. Nice fish!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/14/18 03:53 PM

Congratulations and great report.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/15/18 01:56 AM

I went out to Canyon this morning with my sister. It was awesome !!
We caught about 60 whites on Rapala Minnow CD-7 and the good old Swimmin' Minnow.
There were whites hitting the top all the way up and down the upper part of
the lake. Amazing day.

Ran into Southtxangler22 which was great too. He was kicking butt on
the whites and stripers again ! LOL !!!

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/16/18 03:29 AM

That was an insane day on Canyon. It’s pretty cool to see all those fish like that!

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/16/18 02:38 PM

Nice fish again! Sure hope they keep showing up. Once they hide they get hard to find.

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/16/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: chascat
Nice fish again! Sure hope they keep showing up. Once they hide they get hard to find.

They showed up again today! I’d like to turn on my fish finder again sometime lol. I like jigging for them just as much as top water or shallow water. It’s been a blast this week though!
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/16/18 09:14 PM

Way to catchem. You may have to find another ramp soon. 23 looks like it will be closing any moment now as it has hit its low water close level.

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/17/18 12:33 AM

Yep. Rain is what we need for the ramps, but it will probably change everything on the fish.

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/17/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: wgpj
Way to catchem. You may have to find another ramp soon. 23 looks like it will be closing any moment now as it has hit its low water close level.

I agree, it’s def getting lower. Hoping we get the solid weeks worth of rain they are forecasting. Might shut down the Fishing for a little bit but the lake will fish better once it clears back up.
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/17/18 01:02 PM

Not away of any surface action here at Cedar Creek - I believe because of the cold water - 48 degrees now. What is the water temp at Canyon?

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/17/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
Not away of any surface action here at Cedar Creek - I believe because of the cold water - 48 degrees now. What is the water temp at Canyon?

I read all the reports of other lakes around Texas and none of them fish the same as Canyon. Water temp here didnget down in the upper 40’s for the first time that I’ve seen. I think that’s what has kept the fish from already spawning. South of canyon there’s been white bass in rivers since December. Canyon has come back up to 53-55. Top water bite had been on since September. It’s a different kind of lake compared to east Texas lakes that I’m used too. The water temp usually drops down too spawning temps. We don’t have a dead sticking season. It’s fall top water action, straight too the backs of creeks and the river. That’s my experience anyway lol.
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/19/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis Christian
on Saturday the temp swas 55-58 in some of the shallows I was fishing (west of Crane Mills Park).
Posted By: newbiefisher

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/19/18 04:18 PM

Went yesterday with my son and we caught one little dink. I thought it would be a good fishing day since it was cloudy all day. Wish I had half the success on Canyon that you guys have.

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/20/18 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: newbiefisher
Went yesterday with my son and we caught one little dink. I thought it would be a good fishing day since it was cloudy all day. Wish I had half the success on Canyon that you guys have.

Cloudy days def help.. calm water is bringing them too the surface right now. Just keep chasing the birds and look shallow for subtle splashes. Low wind days have been awesome.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/20/18 01:27 PM

Not hijacking the post here - just trying to keep the Canyon thread going.

I was out on the water yesterday (02/19) 12noon - 4p. Water temps were as reported so far. Pretty much 58 everywhere I went. Wind seemed to be close to 20 mph most of my trip. It was pretty choppy out there. I found birds sitting pretty much everywhere. Never diving anywhere except on windblown banks.

Mid-lake area right over the deep river channel I found some fish. There was an occasional splash. Never a moment where the fish came up to feed hard on top. I threw & jigged slabs as well as plastic swim bait with no hookups. I switched over to dead sticking and when I downsized to the smallest plastic I had, I finally got hooked up. By the time I think I was onto something I guess the stripe's were gone and the bass where in. Only caught 2 green fish frown
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/20/18 04:48 PM

dont let these reports fool you. Canyon is a should have been here yesterday lake. I live near there.
Posted By: Steven168

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/20/18 05:16 PM

Heavy rain event expected for our corner of Texas. When it is all said and done, we are expecting 2-3" in the general area, and up to 4" in some areas within that zone.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Steven

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/21/18 02:23 AM

Let it rain and fill up the spawning areas! It’s gunna be good out there!
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/21/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: soggybottom
dont let these reports fool you. Canyon is a should have been here yesterday lake. I live near there.
I prefer to think of it as a can’t wait to be out there again lake!
Posted By: Steven168

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/21/18 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: soggybottom

YES!! Don't let the reports fool you. STA22 has had two more productive days on Canyon since this post!! He's had a LOT more success on this lake than he reports. I get the reports and pics normally on the day of, and they are far more frequent than his posts. The forum only sees a portion of his exploits on Canyon.
Do not fret. Canyon is in her own world and rarely follows the fishing patterns of most normal lakes. Fish can be caught, though, and there can be some really great fishing. I'm encouraged by STA22's success.
Let's hope this rain event makes a significant impact on Canyon.
Steven
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/25/18 01:45 AM

I am upriver in Kerrville area and its rained for 4 days here.. oughta be some good water headed your way.
Posted By: wgpj

Re: Canyon Lake limits! - 02/25/18 02:25 PM

It looks like most of the rain has soaked in instead of filling up the river. The lake has risen only 1.5 inches in the last week. Bummer
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum