Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Conroe

Posted By: Fish_N_Fury

Lake Conroe - 01/28/18 09:47 PM

Anyone caught any whites in Conroe? I've been skunked the last few years when they should be in the creek I fish for the spawn run
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Lake Conroe - 01/28/18 09:51 PM

Haven't heard of anyone catching them. They seem to be gone from the lake for the most part.
Posted By: tbone 2374

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/01/18 02:26 AM

Caught more this year, than the past 4 years...they are just making a slow comeback. Up the creeks, now is the time for Whites, to spawn...
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/01/18 04:46 PM

They made a bit of a comeback with the good spring flow in 2015 and 2016. Those sustained drought years almost wiped them out as Conroe doesn't have a river or much of a major creek feeding it.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/02/18 12:02 AM

"They made a bit of a comeback with the good spring flow in 2015 and 2016. Those sustained drought years almost wiped them out as Conroe doesn't have a river or much of a major creek feeding it."

Uh........ did somebody haul the San Jacinto River off to another lake and not tell us?
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/02/18 06:10 PM

haha it appears I'm mistaken on my claim of no river as that is the west fork of the San Jacinto. I guess it just looked like more of a what I'm used to calling a creek so I made that assumption.
But my point is that there seems to be insufficient flow on most years to sustain abundant population of white bass. conditions for a good spawn would be the exception, not the rule.
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/04/18 01:00 AM

On the exception years is it possible to catch them bank fishing?
Posted By: mattsfishin

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/04/18 11:32 PM

Limited amount of bank access except for Stubblefield lake area.
Not sure about the droughts doing a lot of harm to the spawn. I remember about 24 years back the water was so low that the bankbeatters walked along the left side of the river catching a ton of whites and we had several abundant years after. Heard rumors it was a disease that took them out. Don't know for sure but we would go thru cycles of awesome years down to ok years and back up. I do remember when I would fillet the whites that the eggs looked under developed and the male sperm had what looked like a lot of blood in it prior to the recent decline. Some of the fish I have filleted recently had blood in the sperm and the eggs looked really bad. Hope this is not a sign of bad times to come. Some of us have started to release the big females and keep the males or small fish of both sex. Maybe this will help out in the future. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. Don't have the answer just commenting.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/09/18 08:54 PM

Good afternoon,

I'm praying I'll have an undisturbed day off from work late next week.
My concern is if I can launch my kayak by the ramp off of Stubblefield Road bridge.

I've heard the Stubblefield road bridge was closed due to damage to the hurricane?
Posted By: mattsfishin

Re: Lake Conroe - 02/10/18 12:13 AM

Yes you can launch a kayak on both sides of the bridge. Most people launch at the boat launch area. I call it a boat launch because it is NOT a boat ramp as most people know.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum