Texas Fishing Forum

Headed to Texoma for New Years

Posted By: falcotex

Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/26/17 01:59 AM

Hunting season is mostly over and it’s time to hit the water again. Going to be at Texoma over New Years weekend (and most other weeks until next September haha) Forecast looks frigid!

Any recent updates? I’m assuming sassy shads are doing well and the birds are working......
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/26/17 03:04 AM

That is what I hear. Glo sassys. Tackle Box was almost sold out last week. I will be there Friday provided I fill my doe tags starting tomorrow.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/26/17 06:17 AM

Slabs were working as well
Posted By: BUBBAJ 115

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/26/17 04:11 PM

Sassy’s, slabs and deadsticking.
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/29/17 05:40 AM

Are the boat ramps open on New Year's Day? I have some friends that want to try it out.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/30/17 03:44 AM

hmmmlol.. I’m sure^^^^
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/30/17 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Chaparro75
Are the boat ramps open on New Year's Day? I have some friends that want to try it out.
lakes are open , marinas open , but the ramp shut itself down

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/31/17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: YAKaddict

I set myself up for that one. Next question, will the ramp ice up and then be unable to pull the boat out?

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/31/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
hmmmlol.. I’m sure^^^^

Sorry for the confusion I meant to ask since it's a holiday can you still launch. Second question would be does the ramp ice up?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/31/17 08:26 PM

The ramps will probably be open and no attendants on site. I live west of ft. Worth 25 miles. I have ice covering my concrete drive and city street. Texoma is north about an hour plus. Any water from waves, others launching or loading on a ramp will freeze. You can try taking sand or small gravel to put down in front of your drive wheels but there is no guarantee it will work. I always fish January 1. May not tomorrow. Video it for us please. Good luck.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 12/31/17 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
The ramps will probably be open and no attendants on site. I live west of ft. Worth 25 miles. I have ice covering my concrete drive and city street. Texoma is north about an hour plus. Any water from waves, others launching or loading on a ramp will freeze. You can try taking sand or small gravel to put down in front of your drive wheels but there is no guarantee it will work. I always fish January 1. May not tomorrow. Video it for us please. Good luck.

My friend is taking his truck. I have a 16' aluminum tracker and a tow strap. Worst case should be able to pull it out. Ill post some picks.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/01/18 02:13 AM

16 foot aluminum boat and 15-25 mph wind plus wind chill factor sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/01/18 02:36 AM

I thought it said 10-15mph.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/01/18 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Slab
16 foot aluminum boat and 15-25 mph wind plus wind chill factor sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

What weather ap you using? Or what website you trust.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/01/18 03:51 AM

KXII Texoma weather and the wind finder app is good. With that small of boat even 12-15 mph is tough on Texoma. Conditions can change fast on Texoma and you find yourself in a bad situation. Go overboard in 70 + water temps not too bad. Go in the water now with winds chills and you can die.
http://windmapper.com/CW/observations

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/01/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: YAKaddict

I set myself up for that one. Next question, will the ramp ice up and then be unable to pull the boat out?
worse yet you may slide down and into the lake. No way I would go to Texoma in a 16' aluminum boat in a north wind @ 20 mph. You can launch out of the wind but will be limited as to where you can fish. Only ramp I know of on north side that is close to fish is Buncombe but you would have to deal with crossing Buncombe creek arm.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/02/18 12:53 AM

IDK wind speed but I've seen worse at Lewisville. Ice built up on the guides.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/02/18 01:47 AM

IDK wind speed but I've seen worse at Lewisville. Ice built up on the guides.
hated that trout fishing in WV. At zero degrees you have to dunk rod in river halfway through retrieve. I found last weekend that heavyweight nitile gloves come in handy for throwing cast net and on left hand when slow rolling.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/02/18 02:24 AM

Brave man! Thanks for sharing

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/02/18 03:12 AM

Glad the wind wasn't to bad on you. Did you catch any stripers?
Posted By: falcotex

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/02/18 02:14 PM

We fished Friday and caught 30+ quality fish deadsticking. We went out Saturday around 11-12, found the birds, caught 4 quick...... then the wind picked up more and started taking waves over the bow on a 20 ft falcon. It was time to head back at that point! Couldn't believe we were the only boat out there HAHA! Sunday and Monday the weather was even worse so I put the boat up. It was getting borderline dangerous even with a Texoma worthy boat on Saturday.

Re: Headed to Texoma for New Years - 01/06/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Joe Slab
Glad the wind wasn't to bad on you. Did you catch any stripers?

No luck for me. Don't know what I'm doing and the fish didn't want to eat. Maybe this week.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum