Texas Fishing Forum

lake whitney

Posted By: fishermanforlife

lake whitney - 11/29/17 01:23 AM

Wanting to take my son to Whitney in the next couple of weeks so he can catch a big striper. I have a boat and can fish day or night. Also have down riggers. Not sure where they are this time of year and what baits to use. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: lake whitney - 11/29/17 02:05 PM

Currently the birds are working pretty good. Throwing jigs and slabs
Posted By: Downwind Guide Service

Re: lake whitney - 11/30/17 12:52 AM

We've been catching fish along the McCown Valley Park shore line. For the past few weeks in the 20 - 25 FOW range on live shad. Most schools have been on the flats not really relating to structure. They are on the move in search of bait fish. Also on the flats out in front of Cedron Park as well in about 25 FOW when the wind is out of the south. Also keep your binoculars handy and keep your eyes peeled for working seagulls. They have been working pretty good lately. Hope this helps you and son catch a mess of fish and catch a wall hanger.

Tight lines,
Kevin McCullough
Downwind Guide Service
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: lake whitney - 11/30/17 01:31 AM

Just got home from Whitney today. Agree with everything Kevin said. They are on the flats, 25fow. Birds are working.
Posted By: fishermanforlife

Re: lake whitney - 11/30/17 02:19 AM

Thanks Kevin and others for the advice. Hope to put it to good use soon. I don't have any luck on keeping shad alive for any length of time. We might try gold fish,minnows, and perch.

Thanks again

Re: lake whitney - 11/30/17 03:25 PM

If you use minnows try to find a place that sells JUMBO shinners 4"- 5". I'm sure they would work good due to the lack of bait in the lake. Perch are working great too!
Posted By: big D

Re: lake whitney - 11/30/17 05:59 PM

You get them striper feeding, they will eat fresh dead shad too!
Posted By: Freecobasser

Re: lake whitney - 12/01/17 08:43 PM

It impresses me to no end that guides give out advice like these two gentlemen have.
Guys you are a credit to your profession!!!

Re: lake whitney - 12/02/17 02:58 AM

It's all about creating memories that last forever. Nothing better to give a helping hand and seeing smiles. That's what keeps us going. Y'all have a great day and thanks for the kind words. It's greatly appreciated sir.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum