Texas Fishing Forum

What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish?

Posted By: Laker One

What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 03:42 AM

What pound test line do you use while fishing for sunfish? Feel free to tell why you use a certain line.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 03:44 AM

Normally 6lb

But I go down to 4lb in clear water.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 03:48 AM

I use 4 pound. Love the way it handles!
Posted By: jagg

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 06:09 AM

Gotta be 4lb test for me at least 75% of the time. The places I tend to fish and like to fish tend to have clear water most of the year and the lowest visibility line I can get away with is a must. Also, the thinner the diameter the line, the farther I can cast tiny jigs and presentations, which is also a great asset when it comes to big panfish in clear water.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 09:53 AM

Six pound. For me it's easier to work with. thumb
Posted By: Fishwfly

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 01:15 PM

I use 2-4lb flourocarbon mostly. I really like the 2lb Sunline Sniper FC. The 2lb gives me the best casting distance, invisability in clear water, and lure action for the ultralight stuff I love throwing.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 08:30 PM

I use a 4 foot leader of 6 pound Stren Original tied on to 8 pound Nanofil or NanoBraid
with a double Uni-Knot. Very easy to tie, has small knot size, and will not slip.

I have better casting distance and sensitivity with this arrangement. Also, when I'm hung
up the leader will break off and not the main line. Sunfish are line shy to high vis lines.
Tying direct to Nanofil or NanoBraid would be a high vis situation.

I use the 6 lb leader because it is easier for me to see and tie with. I also like having
a little better abrasion resistance and the ability to handle the odd large fish that
bites on my sunfish offering. But if I was presented with crystal clear water I would
size down to 4 lb for less visibility.

Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/04/17 11:11 PM

I have a rig with 2lb nanobraid right now. My previous favorite was 6 lb. flouro or regular mono.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/05/17 01:29 AM

...6 lb stren fluorocarbon...cause u never know when a bigger bass or catfish will chomp...
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/05/17 06:17 PM

6 any smaller i spend half the day tryn to thread it through the hook eye
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/05/17 10:20 PM

Maxima Ultragreen 4lb.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/05/17 11:05 PM

30 pound braid Alberto knot to 20 pound mono double uni knot to 10 pound fluro Palomar knot to 2lb maxima! This is the bass section right? hammer
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/05/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs
30 pound braid Alberto knot to 20 pound mono double uni knot to 10 pound fluro Palomar knot to 2lb maxima! This is the bass section right? hammer

Got to love it. roflmao
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/07/17 10:02 AM

I run 8 lbs line. I do a lot of trolling, drifting, and 4 lbs tangle too easily and breaks to easily when hanging up.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/07/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: Smurfs

Got to love it. roflmao
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/08/17 03:25 PM

I do not target sunfish but when I catch one it is usually on 12 pound test line while fishing for other species.
Posted By: pavlaugh

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/08/17 07:52 PM

6 lb because that's my typical line for "I don't know what I'm going to catch today." Easy to work with, sunnies will bite it, and strong enough for the occasional bass or catfish.
Posted By: Jon

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/15/17 02:27 AM

I use 4 lb mono Vicious Hi Viz panfish line and order it direct from the factory on 1/4 lb spools.
I landed a 10 lb 6 oz largemouth on that very line using a live cricket on a size 10 wire cricket hook one late night during the spawn a few years ago. My daughter landed a buffalo on same size line one night that was either 18 or 21 lbs - can't remember which it was. Hit a crappie jig. It's cheap enough that it doesn't bother me one bit to scrap all the line on the reel and fill up with fresh. It has the least memory and is the best behaved line for a spinning reel of any mono I've ever used and I've tried most all of them. That buffalo did a number on that spool full do to all the twisting from her cranking while drag was letting line out and had to be replace that spool full the same night!

here's the bass pic - can't find the daughter's buffalo frown

Posted By: WackyRigger

Re: What pound Test Line Do You Use for Sunfish? - 10/15/17 03:04 AM

30-50# pound braid I don't fish for them intentionally roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum