Texas Fishing Forum

Big OL' Redbreast !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/14/17 10:20 PM

Fished a Hill Country river and caught some BIG OL' "FAT" Redbreast. Water was crystal clear and the current was flowing good. Fish were holding by grass beds about 20 yards from drop offs. Bottom technique with worms was used. Bite was GREAT all morning long. Left em biting. All fish were released to fight again. Biggest fish was 10.75". Smallest was 9". Most fish were over 10". Rounding out the catch were some super nice Rios all over 9" and a couple of bass in the 2 to 3 pound range. A great morning of fishing in the Texas Hill Country. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: gar1970

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/14/17 11:37 PM

Great post and pics chuck clap

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 12:35 AM

Thanks Leo for the reply. Hope you and Yesenia and are doing well. The upcoming fall bite for the sunnies should be "ON FIRE". flame As for the Crappie bite a lot of our brush piles got washed away due to Harvey. Seguin got 12 plus inches of rain! bang Oh well got to look for them again! hide2
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 02:47 AM

Nothing like Redbreast to give a good fight on an ultralight !

Great post ! Makes me want to get out and Get Some !!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 04:00 AM

Wow Chuck!! Awesome pictures thanks for sharing!!

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 10:02 AM

Thanks Doc and Yesenia for the replies! This has been a SUPER year for BIG Rios and Redbreast! The sunnies have been active just about all year long! thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 11:29 AM

Wow clap

10 inch plus Redbreast. You are the man. I haven't figured it out yet but you must emit some type of pungent odor that attracts big sunfish roflmao No worries though, I always figure it out eventually. Then I'll break your 300 records grin
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 05:06 PM

Way to go! Looks like a fine day on the water! I've never caught a Rio ( on my bucket list )but I bet one will make a beautiful mount! thumb
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/15/17 08:35 PM

thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/17/17 11:20 AM

Big old toad of a fish, nice!
Posted By: Flags

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/17/17 08:35 PM

Now that looks like fun. Got to love a husky sunfish.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/18/17 12:28 AM

Awesome Chuck!

Fall fishing will be epic.

Time to flood this section with reports.

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 09/23/17 09:53 AM

Thanks Alan,Flags,and Andrew for the replies. cheers Andrew: Yes Sir fall bite should be a great one! hooked The BIG ONES want to play! hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/02/17 02:35 PM

Those are some fatties. Nice fish Chuck. Seems that this has been a pretty good year for you on catching BIG Redbreast. What type of water bodies have you had your better results on catching them?

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/06/17 09:57 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers Been catching NICE Redbreast in just about all of the rivers I fish. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/10/17 11:53 AM

Seems that the rivers have been good all year. Bet this latest cold front starts turning them on. Thanks Chuck for the reply.
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/10/17 02:44 PM

Great catch.

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/18/17 10:35 AM

Thanks Gitter and etexbasser for the replies. cheers Gitter: This latest front has turned on the afternoon/evening bite! hooked Catching a very nice variety of fish. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/21/17 01:42 PM

Those are some HOGS! Good job Chuck. How would you rate the fight of a Redbreast compared to all of the other sunfish? hmmm

Side Note: If anyone else wants to give their opinion on the Redbreast fight feel free to share their answer. woot

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/29/17 09:53 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Redbreast are "quick hitters" they bite hard and fast. hooked They are pretty good fighters. boxing Would rate them just under the Redear which are in my opinion the best fighting sunfish! thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 10/29/17 01:37 PM

I went to the confluance of two local creeks and hammerd the redbreasts back to back caught at least 12 8-9.5" they were on fire

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 11/03/17 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
I went to the confluance of two local creeks and hammerd the redbreasts back to back caught at least 12 8-9.5" they were on fire

whip whip whip
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 11/09/17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Redbreast are "quick hitters" they bite hard and fast. hooked They are pretty good fighters. boxing Would rate them just under the Redear which are in my opinion the best fighting sunfish! thumb

I would rate them the same. Great fighters on the fly also. boxing
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 11/09/17 11:43 PM

Love those red ears

Re: Big OL' Redbreast ! - 11/18/17 10:52 AM

Thanks Champion Fish for the reply! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum