Texas Fishing Forum

One Old Bull Rio !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 12:28 PM

Fished the Nueces Canyon and caught this very old "Bull Rio"! She has seen her better days. It will not be long until she will be swimming in that great clear river in the sky above. I had a great feeling knowing that I got probably her only fight and for sure her last fight. The fish was 11.15" in length. As I watched her swim away in the crystal clear water of the West Nueces River,if she only knew that she would be the Catch&Release Record Rio for the West Nueces River. Paper work was sent to the Texas Parks And Wildlife. I had seen a bunch of "Super Nice" Rios swimming in schools. The Rio bite was slow but I did manage to catch a few all in the trophy range. Catching one very old "Bull Rio" in the Nueces Canyon. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: gander

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 01:06 PM

thumb..........very nice...!
Posted By: psalty

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 01:13 PM

Congrats on the grand moment and for sharing!
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 01:16 PM

thumb
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 02:19 PM

Wow! The things that fish must have survived to reach that size and age. Congrats on yet another record!

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 03:08 PM

Thanks gander,psalty,RWCAT,and Will for the replies. cheers Plenty of active fish right now. I just pray that we can avoid any major flooding on this pending storm out in the Gulf. If the storm hits our area and major flooding occurs this will wipe out a good portion of the fall bite. We can always use the rain but the flooding is another story! nuts
Posted By: gar1970

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 03:50 PM

Congrats chuck on another record! That rio sure looks old.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 04:14 PM

clap Congrats Chuck!!

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 04:30 PM

Thanks Leo and Yesenia for the replies. Would have gave you a call but was on a tight schedual. Love fishing Gods Country. thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 08:32 PM

Thats a beautiful fish Chuck. The stories it could tell....

Congrats on another record cheers
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/23/17 09:36 PM

That's a real beauty! Congrats!
Posted By: Capt. Mac

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 01:44 AM

That's a man's Rio! Congrats!

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 02:10 AM

Thanks Andrew,Littlefeather,and Capt.Mac for the replies. cheers Andrew: Yes Sir if only that fish could talk. She has been through a lot over the years. I am sure she has added plenty of Rios over the years in the West Nueces River! Spring fed pool with plenty of thick weed beds in Southwest Texas is a nice place for a Rio to live. thumb

Posted By: dhogdog

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 02:51 AM

Now that's a nice Frankenstein!!! Way to go Chuck.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Fitz®
Thats a beautiful fish Chuck. The stories it could tell....

Congrats on another record cheers
Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac
That's a man's Rio! Congrats!
Originally Posted By: dhogdog
Now that's a nice Frankenstein!!! Way to go Chuck.

+3 rockonflehan
Posted By: jagg

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 08:35 AM

Now that fish has been THROUGH! A fish that battle tested ought not be counted out yet though. The tough get going and keep going if memory serves. Nice catch, Chuck! thumb
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/24/17 08:45 PM

Glad you were the one to catch her Chuck !

Congrats on another record !
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/25/17 01:56 AM

Congrats, great story!!

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 08/31/17 10:08 AM

Thanks guys for the replies! cheers For sure the oldest Rio I have every caught. hmmm
Posted By: Laker One

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 09/09/17 01:38 PM

Awesome post and one nice old Rio. Congratulations on the record. woot How many Rio records does this make for you? hmmm

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 09/13/17 09:53 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! It's been a great a year for Rios both old and young. As for the Rio records I have a few! noidea
Posted By: Laker One

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 09/20/17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Curtis for the reply! It's been a great a year for Rios both old and young. As for the Rio records I have a few! noidea

I thought you would say that. hammer

Side note. One of these days I am going to have to go through the records section and count them for myself. nuts

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 09/25/17 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

I thought you would say that. hammer

Side note. One of these days I am going to have to go through the records section and count them for myself. nuts

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 10/03/17 01:49 PM

That's is one old fish. Bet that fish has many a story it can tell. Congratulations on yet another record.

Side Note: How old would you say that fish is? Also what is the average life expectancy of a Rio? (Anyone feel free to answer or give an opinion).
Posted By: gar1970

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 10/04/17 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: doctorxring

Glad you were the one to catch her Chuck !+1

Congrats on another record !

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 10/08/17 09:58 AM

Thanks Gitter and Leo for the replies. Gitter: According to biologist who I have spoken with they say the average life of a Rio is 2 to 3 years with favorable conditions. They further state that a Rio could live 4 to 6 years with excellent conditions. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 10/12/17 02:03 PM

That is a pretty good life span for a smaller type fish. Thanks for the information.

Re: One Old Bull Rio ! - 10/23/17 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
That is a pretty good life span for a smaller type fish. Thanks for the information.

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum