Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:10 PM

Had a GREAT day of fishing with both Leo aka Gar 1970 and his wife Yesenia. We fished in their backyard which is located in the Great Southwest Hill Country and has a nice stretch of the West Nueces River flowing right through it. We started fishing at around 7am and fished till 12 noon. The bite was on FIRE! We caught a bunch of very nice Bluegill,Redear,bass,Channel Cats, and some Longear. First two spots we did not catch any Rios. We then loaded into a mule and Leo drove through the brush for about a couple of miles and we finished the day fishing another part of the river. The Rio bite was GREAT and the Bulls were ready to play. We caught about 25 very nice Rios with several going in the 10" range. We had a bunch in the 8 to 9" range. Over all we caught well over 70 fish all very good quality. Ultralight tackle was used along with soft plastics,live worms,and Gulp Alive Night Crawlers as the baits of choice. All fish were released to fight again. You will not find any better anglers or people than Leo and Yesenia. They know every part of the Nueces Canyon and know where to find BIG fish! Fishing and enjoying the beautiful great outdoors with two super friends. It just don't get any better! fish

Posted By: psalty

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:35 PM

Congrats on the experience and grand to friends fishing together.
Much thanks for the super pics.

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: psalty
Congrats on the experience and grand to friends fishing together.
Much thanks for the super pics.

The Nueces Canyon is one GREAT Fishing experience! Great scenery,Great fish,and Great people! It's just don't get any better! thumb

Thanks for the reply psalty! cheers
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:54 PM

thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:55 PM

Down there in bull city wtg looks like a great trip rockon

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 01:59 PM

Thanks RWCAT and Clayton for the replies. cheers Clayton: The Rios are calling your name! The Carp have forgotten your name! thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 04:37 PM

Awesome post chuck! We really enjoyed your company and watching the rio king "reign" over his subjects.
I was going to post but yours says it all so ill just add a few pics that i took.

Until we fish again my friend

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 05:43 PM

Leo and Yesenia it just don't get any better! cheers Thanks again and looking forward to fishing with you again! hooked Let me know anytime you plan on being in my neck of the woods and we can see if the fish will cooperate on some of my places here including the Guadalupe River! thumb

Side Note: I am fully convinced that Yesenia has all of the bass named on the West Nueces! hmmm
Posted By: Flags

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 06:07 PM

Now that looks like a fund day.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 06:42 PM

I had lots of fun Chuck glad you got to come out to fish with us!

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 08:12 PM

Thanks Flags and Yesenia for the replies. Flags: Yes Sir it's always a BLAST fishing the Canyon! cheers Yesenia: You have one GREAT backyard! As I have always said you and Leo are "Living the Dream"! thumb
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/04/17 09:18 PM

Great post and pictures, Chuck. Looks like ya'll really tore it up!

Leo, that photo of your wife and Chuck with the canyon wall behind them is one of those "post card" type areas we all dream of when we fish a river.
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/05/17 12:02 AM

Wow great scenery and great pics

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/05/17 10:04 AM

Thanks Will and Alan for the replies! cheers
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/07/17 01:28 AM

Wow, what a beautiful place and great fish thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/07/17 09:57 PM

Good times fish

That would be a treat to fish.

Time must go by pretty fast there.

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/14/17 10:18 AM

Thanks Jamie and Andrew for the replies. cheers Time stands still while fishing the Nueces Canyon. partyon God's country. thumb
Posted By: jagg

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/15/17 07:37 PM

Excellent Chuck and Gar! Can't beat river fishing. Never know what will be on the end of the line!
Posted By: Tekell

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/19/17 01:07 AM

Beautiful country and good friends. Can't beat that.
thumb
Posted By: Jaustin

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/19/17 01:39 AM

That looks like a great time in a beautiful place!

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/23/17 10:06 AM

Thanks jagg,Tekell,and Jaustin for the replies. cheers Love that Nueces Canyon fishing. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 08/25/17 12:05 PM

coolphotos and a super thread Chuck and Gar1970. I really had a great time this past spring floating and fishing both the Nueces and Frio Rivers. Beautiful place to fish and visit. Plan on being there again either this fall or for sure next spring! woot

Side Note: What fish have you caught more of this year while fishing the Nueces Canyon? (Rio,Bluegill,bass,etc).

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/01/17 09:47 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply! cheers Love that Nueces Canyon! coolio As for the most type of fish I have caught while fishing in the canyon? hmmm I would say Redear followed by the Rio. hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/03/17 02:42 PM

You have been having a pretty good year catching those Redear and Rios. How has the Dunlap bite been?

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/06/17 09:53 AM

I have not fished Dunlap much during the summer. I plan on starting to fish it a lot more now that Labor Day has past. This cooler weather will start turning em on. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/08/17 02:52 PM

Great post Chuck. You have been fishing both the Nueces Canyon and the Sabinal Valley a lot the past couple of years. Judging by your post you are catching some good quality fish. How would you rate the fishing pressure there? Again super post and some super pictures.
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/12/17 06:47 PM

I need a backyard like that.............

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/21/17 09:56 AM

Thanks Gitter and Woodwzrd for the replies. cheers Woodwzrd: Yes Sir that is one heck of a backyard. God's Country for sure. thumb Gitter a lot of places in the Canyon are on private property and have very little fishing pressure. The public places have some pressure but it's not that bad! hmmm

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 09/26/17 04:48 PM

Thanks for info Chuck. Again as always super post.

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 10/03/17 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Thanks for info Chuck. Again as always super post.

thumb

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 10/14/17 02:56 PM

Saw where the Canyon area got over 7 inches of rain a few weeks ago and another two inches after that. Bet that area is looking mighty fine.

Re: Fishing in a GREAT BACKYARD ! - 10/16/17 11:53 AM

Water bodies there are in great shape. Springs are also in great shape. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum