Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing

Posted By: 1960texan

Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 03:00 AM

During my travels around the Hill Country I'm always on the lookout for a "new to me" fishing hole. I came across this spot on the Blanco a few weeks ago.

I held off trying it out it until I could get Chuck, aka banker-always-fishing, along for the ride and today was the day. Chuck has generously turned me on to all kinds of new water and I was happy to finally be in a position to return the favor.

It held a pretty good variety of sunfish, although most of the ones I hooked into were small.

I also hooked into a few bass.

We arrived just before seven am and immediately started landing fish. I could only spare a few hours before heading to work, but Chuck was able to make a day of it. Hopefully he'll add photos of some of the many fish he caught, which included a number of Rios and a Warmouth.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 03:29 AM

Great post. Love fishing new spots. What flies were working best?

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 03:51 AM

Thanks Laker One. I caught most of them on a midge. I can't swear to the proper name of the fly, I bought an unlabeled box of them at Cabela's a while back, but they look sort of like a red disco midge.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 09:53 AM

Had a great time Will. Always love fishing new places. coolio I found some nice Rios all in the 7 to 8 inch range stacked close to the bank by a weed bed. Stayed on em for about two solid hours and caught at least 20. They were all fat and full of fight. Rounding out the catch were a couple of Bluegill,several small bass,some small greens,and a few Longear. Left around 1:30pm. Nice place to fish. thumb

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 02:23 PM

Great photos Chuck. thumb Sometimes I think the Rios just turn themselves in when you show up. laugh Looking forward to fishing that spot again when I have more time to explore the area.

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 03:50 PM

Thanks1960 Texan for the information. I have had good results throwing sinking spiders and grasshoppers. Brown seems the color of choice.

Side note. Nice fish Chuck. Love finding a stack of Rios. How close wore they to deeper water. ? Again nice fish. woot
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 09:48 PM

Love the pic of the trademark cricket hook with chunk of worm, tricked bluegill on the end.
Posted By: psalty

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/29/17 10:14 PM

Proof that small is fun and especially finding new water.
Thanks fellas!

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 07/31/17 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: psalty
Thanks fellas!

Yes Sir. Nothing beats a sunfish fight on ultralight tackle. boxing

Side Note: Curtis: The Rios were about 40 yards from a deeper hole! The river was in very good shape! thumb
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/01/17 02:56 AM

Awesome looking spot and fish are better rthat now fish an once again chuck thrashes the rios leaving the score 7089 dewey rios 70 lol rockon fellas

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/01/17 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
... once again chuck thrashes the rios leaving the score 7089 dewey rios 70 lol

Chuck is the Rio king!
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/01/17 09:40 PM

Really great pictures and an awesome looking place to fish thumb
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/01/17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
I have had good results throwing sinking spiders and grasshoppers. Brown seems the color of choice.

You hit it on the head. There are small brown grasshoppers every where. I picked up a live grasshopper and compared it to the hopper pattern Alan and I were using in the creeks. It was a dead match. The fish were smashing those flies.

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/02/17 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: J-Moe
I have had good results throwing sinking spiders and grasshoppers. Brown seems the color of choice.

You hit it on the head. There are small brown grasshoppers every where. I picked up a live grasshopper and compared it to the hopper pattern Alan and I were using in the creeks. It was a dead match. The fish were smashing those flies.

The closest thing to a hopper that I had with me today was a white and purple Chernobyl ant. I was near Onion Creek around lunchtime and, remembering ya'lls advice on using terrestrials, decided to rig up and fish for a half hour or so. Tossed the fly over a weed bed in the middle of the creek and within a few seconds it got SMASHED by a largemouth bass that had to be at least 19 or 20 inches long. banana I set the hook and started to bring it in, and just as I was thinking, "I better get this guy on the reel" I got broke off. bang violin

That was my only terrestrial besides a handful of poppers. I landed quite a few healthy looking green sunfish and one bluegill on the popper, then switched to a white wooly bugger and missed a strike on another, although much smaller, bass.

Now I've got to go get a bunch of hoppers and ants to keep in my fly box.

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/03/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Wildman of the navidad
Awesome looking spot and fish are better rthat now fish an once again chuck thrashes the rios leaving the score 7089 dewey rios 70 lol rockon fellas

I just love those Rios! hooked

Side Note: Sunnies also! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/05/17 02:17 PM

Nice post. It's always good fishing with friend's.

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/07/17 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: psalty
Thanks fellas!

Yes Sir. Nothing beats a sunfish fight on ultralight tackle. boxing

Side Note: Curtis: The Rios were about 40 yards from a deeper hole! The river was in very good shape! thumb

Thanks! The Rios I have been catching seem to be in shallow water as well not to mention somewhat far for the deeper pockets of water.

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/11/17 08:48 PM

Or better yet! Put a nice fat Night Crawler on a size six cricket hook! hooked "A Rio's worst enemy". thumb

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/12/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing

Or better yet! Put a nice fat Night Crawler on a size six cricket hook! hooked "A Rio's worst enemy". thumb

I figured you would say something like that. roflmao
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Fishing The Blanco With Banker-Always-Fishing - 08/13/17 10:33 PM

Great looking place to fish and nice pictures.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum