Texas Fishing Forum

Athens Was Good to Me This Morning

Posted By: Flags

Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/16/17 06:44 PM

I went to Lake Athens this morning. It has been far too long since I have put the float tube on it and it felt really good to get on the water again. As is usually the case, this lake was good to me but it took a little time to get into them.

Normally on this lake I can catch all the sunfish I want with a piece of night crawler about 3 ft under a float. And in that sense today was a normal day. But there was an issue; all I could get with this system today were little ones about 3-4 inches long. I know there are better fish there so I had to play around to find them. I took the float off and tied on a 1/16th oz gig head and tipped it with a piece of crawler and fished off the bottom. This worked a little better and the fish were bigger but the fish were hitting really light and if I didn’t hook them they dropped the bait.

I decided the problem was the weight. I’ve seen the same thing for trout in my native CO so I decided to use a trout tactic on the sunfish. I took off all weight and tied on a thin wire hook and a piece of crawler and cast it out, letting it slowly fall to the bottom. Once on the bottom I brought it in using 3 or 4 inch strips of the line like a fly fisherman. That worked. They began to hit like caged rattlers. I quit counting at 25 sunfish. Also got a couple crappie that were too short and a small bass.

I kept 6 fish for supper. The smallest is a little over 6 inches long and was bleeding so I had to keep it. The biggest taped just shy of an honest 10 inches. They have a date with the bacon grease and the cornmeal later tonite.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/16/17 07:58 PM

nice
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/16/17 08:38 PM

Flags you are living the dream! coolio Fishing for trout one week and the next catching some nice Bluegills. hooked It just don't get any better! thumb

Side Note: How do you prepare your Bluegill for cooking. Also what type of fry/mix do you use? food
Posted By: pearow

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/16/17 10:31 PM

I launched my boat at the same time you were getting in your tube this morning. Fishing was slow for us as we went to the dam. Caught a few brim and bass but it was exceptionally slow for us.-p-
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 12:49 AM

Excellent ! Glad you were able to figure them out.

How deep were the ones you ended up catching on the free lined worm ?

Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 01:53 AM

Fantastic post thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 04:37 AM

Time to get back out there and find some Warmouth and Red Spots.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Flags you are living the dream! coolio Fishing for trout one week and the next catching some nice Bluegills. hooked It just don't get any better! thumb

Side Note: How do you prepare your Bluegill for cooking. Also what type of fry/mix do you use? food

Plus #1. Also nice fish. woot
Posted By: etexbasser

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 01:55 PM

Thanks for the write up, good work trying different techniques until you found what worked.

later...etex
Posted By: Flags

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/17/17 05:46 PM

Side Note: How do you prepare your Bluegill for cooking. Also what type of fry/mix do you use?

Normally I use cornmeal and then add spices to it. Usually some Slap-Ya-Mama cajun hot, a little garlic powder and some parm cheese. I don't measure anything so each batch is a little different. On these fish I ended up not frying them. I had a big batch of steamed veggies from the garden so I made them into fillets and steamed the fillets and then rough chopped them and added them to the veggies. Topped it off with some butter, garlic, fresh parsley and a dash of hot sauce and fresh baked bread. They were tasty.

I'm guessing it was 6-8 feet. Headed back there tomorrow to see what I can get then. Got a couple more weeks with time off until I head back to the classroom to teach the next batch of high school kids.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/18/17 06:36 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job.
Posted By: psalty

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/18/17 06:39 PM

Fish Candy nuggets!! grill
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Athens Was Good to Me This Morning - 07/19/17 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Flags
Side Note: How do you prepare your Bluegill for cooking. Also what type of fry/mix do you use?

Normally I use cornmeal and then add spices to it. Usually some Slap-Ya-Mama cajun hot, a little garlic powder and some parm cheese. I don't measure anything so each batch is a little different. On these fish I ended up not frying them. I had a big batch of steamed veggies from the garden so I made them into fillets and steamed the fillets and then rough chopped them and added them to the veggies. Topped it off with some butter, garlic, fresh parsley and a dash of hot sauce and fresh baked bread. They were tasty.

I'm guessing it was 6-8 feet. Headed back there tomorrow to see what I can get then. Got a couple more weeks with time off until I head back to the classroom to teach the next batch of high school kids.

Love that recipe. Nothing beast fresh Bluegill! food
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum