Texas Fishing Forum

Tips on thawing gills to eat

Posted By: Resh

Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/10/17 09:18 PM

Hey guys, I usually don't freeze fish, I catch what I can eat right then and go home and eat it fresh. Spent the week up in MN and brought back some gills, perch and crappie frozen with the skin on (filleted over the ribcage). For those of you that freeze and eat any tips to thaw it out to fry it up the best?? Or just toss the bag in the fridge then the sink to de-ice.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/10/17 09:40 PM

Just put it in the fridge or the package in a container of water on the counter to thaw. Thawing only effects the texture anyway not the flavor so since you're frying it shouldn't make a darn difference. I only care if I'm thawing fish that I'm baking or grilling, will flash-thaw in running water if I'm in a hurry when frying.

Eric
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/10/17 11:16 PM

I do not freeze my sunfish. I usually eat them within two to four days after the catch. I just put them in the refrigerator on a plate or pan covered with tin foil. Fish I do freeze are Crappie and White Bass. For those I take a pack out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator. I take the fish out of the freezer a day in advance. If I am in a hurry I put the pack in water to thaw out. They taste great either fried,baked,broiled,or on the grill. thumb

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/11/17 01:20 AM

Thanks guys, I figured they might be mushy or something but they're just hitting the cornmeal and the grease like fresh ones so probably not much to it
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/11/17 12:22 PM

Only freeze my Crappie. Put them in baggies and seal em in water. Store them in my freezer. They all turn out good.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/12/17 12:47 PM

I freeze any kind of fish. I skin and fillet them, put enough for a meal in a Ziplok bag, fill it with water so the fillets are covered, squeeze the air out and freeze. When the water freezes it seals the fish and prevents freezer burn. To defrost them, tear the bag off, put them in a sinkfull of water for a couple of hours, then cook. I've eaten them 10 months later and they taste just as good then as when I put them in the freezer.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/12/17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Chaser
I freeze any kind of fish. I skin and fillet them, put enough for a meal in a Ziplok bag, fill it with water so the fillets are covered, squeeze the air out and freeze. When the water freezes it seals the fish and prevents freezer burn. To defrost them, tear the bag off, put them in a sinkfull of water for a couple of hours, then cook. I've eaten them 10 months later and they taste just as good then as when I put them in the freezer.

Plus #1. Been doing that my whole life! Fish have always tasted great.

Re: Tips on thawing gills to eat - 07/12/17 05:37 PM

Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum