Texas Fishing Forum

A New Adventure

Posted By: J-Moe

A New Adventure - 07/05/17 04:13 PM

I have been using Google over the past few years to find new fishing spots. I have fished almost every accessible bridge location over the major creeks in my local area, as well as, spots hours away from my home. I have had some big wins doing this in the past. For example, I found a spot on the Navasota river and caught 55 white bass one day, found a spot with warmouth, found a spot with 9 inch plus bluegill, etc.

I had a friend tell me about another creek that was accessible about 35 minutes from home so I gave it a try without doing much research on it. I took the fly rod and a small yellow briminator variant I tied and headed down to fish the creek. Immediately I started catching bluegill, bass, catfish and greenies. I moved down to another spot and caught a red ear and then a couple redbreast. This really excited me and confused me a bit because I have not caught Redbreast anywhere near my home.

I went back to Google and figured out that this particular creek feed into the Colorado river watershed. It made sense to me then as the Yegua and lower Brazos watershed have very little Rebreast and those are the creeks I have been fishing.

I started looking for new road crossings to fish. I have fished in four spots so far, both wade fishing and kayaking. The fishing has been awesome. I have caught green sunfish, hybrid green sunfish, redear, bluegill, longear, redbreast, crappie, bass and catfish. Unfortunately the best 2 fish got away so far. I got broke off by a huge bass and then lost a huge trophy redear. I thought I had a bass on and fought it carefully around the tree limbs for a while. As I was pulling it up into the yak it came off. So now I am even more excited about the adventure as I know for sure there are trophy sunfish in the creek.

And in the 3 times I fished it so far I haven't seen another person. banana

Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: A New Adventure - 07/05/17 05:40 PM

That's what its all about. Beautiful fish and solitude.

Well done....but seriously, posting it on the internet wouldn't be my first choice. The internet, sad to say, has enabled the destruction of so many good fishing spots.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: A New Adventure - 07/05/17 05:42 PM

Thats what it's all about!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A New Adventure - 07/05/17 05:51 PM

coolphotos Nice variety of fish J-Moe. Looks like a great spot.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: A New Adventure - 07/05/17 07:37 PM

Way to go, Jaime! It's always awesome to find a secluded, little known spot. Being full of nice sized fish is a bonus. thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A New Adventure - 07/06/17 09:13 AM

Nice post and fish Jamie! Always love fishing new places. Good job. rockon
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: A New Adventure - 07/06/17 01:49 PM

thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A New Adventure - 07/06/17 07:19 PM

Nice place and fish. woot
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: A New Adventure - 07/06/17 07:47 PM

Sharing moments from your solitude brings it full circle.

Thanks for a great post ! cheers
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: A New Adventure - 07/06/17 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum