Texas Fishing Forum

White Rock Creek

Posted By: Dfitz

White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 12:25 AM

Went out to White Rock Creek this afternoon to catch some Sunfish. I decided to fish under the 635 bridge. I could hear thunder, but there was no rain. Knowing that if it was raining to the North the water had to go somewhere, having seen video of rivers rising, and hearing stories of people who had seen a wall of water come down, I chose to fish in a place where I could quickly get up the bank just in case. When I was changing flys out of nowhere I hear a weird noise that made me look upstream. There it was, all that water from the North had made its way to me. I thank God he gave me the awareness to understand what was happening. I was standing in ankle high water and fishing to knee to waist deep water. The river rose at least 4ft in under 2 minutes and the water was moving fast. If a person was on the wrong side of the creek to get out or had to get up slippery banks it would have been game over. Anybody that wade fishes knows how strong the current is, it was less than 30 seconds from the initial push of water that the current was so strong anyone would have been swept away. A big mature tree even floated down. All this happened and barely a drop of rain was coming down. I am so thankful that I didn't "push it" to better looking spots where there was no way for me to get out. Stay safe out there, I will be more cautious after today.

Posted By: Coreywms

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 12:54 AM

Glad you made it out of that safely.
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 01:06 AM

Glad you're safe, Fitz! Good job thinking ahead.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 03:01 AM

OMG Text book flash flooding. Glad you made it out. woot
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 10:11 AM

It don't take long Andrew. Glad you got out of there! bolt

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 03:03 PM

It was a wild experience. I felt calm when it happened and knew what to do. But after I got home, the mind started racing with "what if" scenarios and then thinking about people that were not experienced with being around water and had been caught off guard. It's easy to see how someone could be swept away.
Posted By: ralph

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 09:49 PM

That is scary for sure. Glad you were alert and thinking ahead. Good lesson for anyone who ventures near watercourses.
Posted By: IIIMag

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/28/17 11:13 PM

Thanks for reminding us all.
Posted By: SourTemplePilot

Re: White Rock Creek - 06/29/17 03:35 PM

I live a few 100 yards behind WRC up in Plano. Whenever it rains significantly, the waters start to flow with danger. The creek can be menacing after a downpour. Glad you made it out in time!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: White Rock Creek - 07/01/17 04:52 PM

Flooding happens fast. Great reminder. Glad you made it out safely.
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: White Rock Creek - 09/11/17 07:02 PM

A buddy of mine says November is the time for Crappie there....says he tears them up.........
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: White Rock Creek - 09/11/17 08:19 PM

Not there, downstream. Hasn't been the same for the last few years though...

Eric

Re: White Rock Creek - 09/18/17 12:34 AM

Don't see many sandbass in the creek
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum