Texas Fishing Forum

Bluegill & Reds !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 02:08 AM

Had a great week of fishing. Fished by myself,with friends,and with my brother Tom. Caught a bunch of nice Bluegill and finished the week by catching some Cally Reds. Me and my brother met up with Guide Harry Lamb who we have fished with a lot over the years. Harry can put you on the Reds for sure. We fished Cally from 7:30am till 11:30am and caught about twelve Reds. Kept a few for the grill and frying pan. The Bluegill were caught on a local creek early part of the week. Worms were used with a bottom technique. The Bluegill were holding in shallow water close to brush piles. The Reds were caught with both silver and gold spoons using down riggers. We caught most of the Reds in water 6 to 10 feet deep in coves. Fishing the great outdoors with family and friends. It just don't get any better! fish

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 02:32 AM

Side Note: For those of you that do not live in the San Antonio/South Central Area. Cally is just another name for Lake Calavaras. thumb
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 02:45 AM

Those are some good looking Reds Chuck cheers
How was the fight?

I love all types of fishing, by myself, with friends, but fishing with family is the best. My Dad is finally coming around and wants me to take him fishing, I can't wait!

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 02:51 AM

Thanks Andrew for the reply. Yes Sir fishing with family is simply the best. I have fished a lot with both my dad and brother. My dad had passed away years ago but I got some GREAT memories fishing and hunting with him. Me and my brother have logged in a lot of trips over the years and have also made a ton of GREAT memories. thumb

Side Note: Those Reds are some great fighters. boxing Drag pullers for sure. taz If only I could use my ultra light tackle! hmmm
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 03:31 AM

Great post and photos, Chuck. I had a feeling you'd get into some reds when you mentioned where you were going. That's good eatin'!

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 03:42 AM

Thanks Will for the reply. Always have a blast catching those Reds. Great fighters. boxing Will be frying up some very soon. Yes Sir Fried Reds with an ice cold Modelo! thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 05:05 AM

Had a good time with my brother! Don't get any better!!

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 12:17 PM

Thanks Tom. Looking forward to many more trips to come! thumb
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/26/17 09:51 PM

Looks like that was a good day. I've often thought of going to Calavaras but I've go too much surf and marsh in my veins. I always keep heading south. Thanks for the post.
Posted By: Wildman of the navidad

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/30/17 03:16 AM

Awesome i wish i had been there looks like yall had a great time rockon
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 06/30/17 01:08 PM

Nice post Banker! Nice pics thumb
Posted By: Hunter498

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/01/17 10:26 AM

Nice fish!!

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/07/17 05:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. Love those Cally Reds! thumb jnd59: Love fishing the bays for Reds. It's nice to have that action close by on Calaveras and Braunig. hooked
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/11/17 01:27 PM

Latest Red report is the bite is still good! Gonna try to hit it a few more times this summer.

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/18/17 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
Latest Red report is the bite is still good! Gonna try to hit it a few more times this summer.

Heard the same! hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/24/17 11:48 AM

Good times on Cally! Nice fish Guys! woot

Side Note: It's been over a year since I fished Cally. Plan on taking the kayak out there soon. Any gator sittings?

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/27/17 10:16 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers I have not seen the gator but it is still there. There are gator caution signs posted. I also saw several kayaks on the lake. Both anglers stated they did good and each had a couple of Reds. thumb

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 07/29/17 06:17 PM

Thanks Chuck. Would love to catch a Red on the fly. hooked

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 08/03/17 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Thanks Chuck. Would love to catch a Red on the fly. hooked

I think your best bet would be bays at the coast! coolio

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 08/07/17 11:33 AM

Have already found a guide. Also know of several good spots you can park and wade at! Hope to get out there soon!

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 08/09/17 11:19 PM

Good deal. You should have a blast. Many,many years ago I had some pretty good wading spots around Rockport. Caught some nice trout and Sheep Head. thumb

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 08/13/17 03:20 PM

Would love to get a big drum on my 6wt. woot

Re: Bluegill & Reds ! - 08/18/17 10:08 AM

That fight would be "SUPER"! boxing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum