Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid...

Posted By: Action_Jackson

Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/08/15 10:33 PM

Well I finally got my chance to see what Lake Athens bullgills were all about! It's a lil late in to the year for em to be bedded up so I took a leap of faith an took a trip with my bud REDGUN! An ol' boy, am I glad we did...started a lil slow but once we hit a few brush piles and coves, Waco Kid had us on fish in NO time! My first pitch was on a bed, let the cricket sat for a few seconds; gave it slight twitch an then WHAMM, the fight was on! Biggest one of my LIFE!!! Yessir, so now I'm hype an even more ready for "Action"...we hit a few more brush piles an beds then finally ended the day with 49 gills and a 3lb cat! Big ups to WacoKid for this awesome trip...that guy is a character an made the fishing trip fun all together!!! All gills were caught on crickets at various depths, some on the fall an others while lift your rod! Nice "action" about a turn off the bottom as well!

Check em out:

Big shellcracker...BTW that's a 32oz bottle!!!

Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/08/15 11:19 PM

First off, I want to thank Waco Kid for getting us on the fish. He is a gill catching machine!

Second, thank you AJ for the invite to go with you on this trip. Weather could have been a little cooler, but a fun trip, none the less.

Can't wait to go try it again!

EDIT: we have got to get a measuring stick for these fish. Pics don't do them justice.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/08/15 11:22 PM

Nice catch! Now you see what can be done in a lake with big bluegills from a boat so that you can reach the water. The East Texas lakes cannot be beaten. The Waco Kid is obviously a good guide who knows the lake.

The down side: you will never be satisfied with bank fishing from a Metroplex lake or pond again.
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/09/15 01:27 AM

What a haul! Nice report and well done. cheers

Was the lake crowded?
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/09/15 01:42 AM

Now that's a nice mess of footballs!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/09/15 01:45 AM

Awesome Fish "AJ"! Great fishing to both you and "Red Gun"! cheers Also props to the "Waco Kid"! He has those Gills dialed in. hooked

Side Note: Break out the Modelos. rockon
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/09/15 05:07 PM

Great job, guys! Love that lake...
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/09/15 06:33 PM

Nice Haul guys. Good job. woot

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply's fellas...this was the best bream trip EVER!!! Didn't know those monsters got up to that size! (Smithaven) you're right about that...a local pond/marina will not satisfy me after catching these hawwwgs! (Fitz)nah lake wasn't too bad...I beleive they had a bass tournament with a few boats. (Jimbo)...yessir, all of em were just like footballs, ready to be threw in some grease roflmao!!! (Banker) fish fry coming soon bud, Modelo's are on ice and piks coming soon! cheers

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Action_Jackson

AJ, I measured that bottle when I got home. For the record, it is 8 1/2" tall.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 04:03 PM

Holy cow those are some big gills!

Props fellas.

I would love to get into some like that. grill

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 04:39 PM

Thanks for the reply's fellas...this was the best bream trip EVER!!! Didn't know those monsters got up to that size! (Smithaven) you're right about that...a local pond/marina will not satisfy me after catching these hawwwgs! (Fitz)nah lake wasn't too bad...I beleive they had a bass tournament with a few boats. (Jimbo)...yessir, all of em were just like footballs, ready to be threw in some grease roflmao!!! (Banker) fish fry coming soon bud, Modelo's are on ice and piks coming soon! cheers

Yes Sir on the Pictures! thumb

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: REDGUN

AJ, I measured that bottle when I got home. For the record, it is 8 1/2" tall.

REDGUN...that's probably a Lake Athens record!!! I'll invest in a ruler and have it next time for sure!

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 05:02 PM

Athens Bluegill record is 10" with a weight of .90 Lbs. The Catch&Release record is 10". "Red Guns" fish looks like it could have possibly beat both the weight record and the catch&release record. hmmm

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Athens Bluegill record is 10" with a weight of .90 Lbs. The Catch&Release record is 10". "Red Guns" fish looks like it could have possibly beat both the weight record and the catch&release record. hmmm

We were catching gills and just throwing them in ONE cooler. All three of us caught some big gills, but I believe Waco Kid caught the largest. I am fairly certain that the fish in the pic (with the bottle) was NOT the biggest in the pile either, it was just one of the "good ones"........

This was the table, where AJ took the pics. He just picked up the bigger ones on top.....

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/10/15 05:24 PM

You guys defiantly caught some HOGS! Again awesome mess of fish! cheers

Side Note: May need to take "AJ's" advice and carry a ruler with you just in case you catch a MONSTER GILL on future trips. thumb
Posted By: crope1

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/11/15 04:20 AM

ok ok already! you twisted my arm....i'm ready to do this,but first?
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/11/15 02:07 PM

Solid Post. Good job guys on catching some very nice fish. bow_down

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/14/15 07:58 PM

A few more Piks from the trip:

Can't wait for the spring time...WacoKid will put cha on BIG fish for sure! Take advantage cheers

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/14/15 08:47 PM

coolphotos Good job! thumb
Posted By: mrglaspy

Re: Lake Athens Bullgill trip with WacoKid... - 08/20/15 07:56 PM

That's awesome. I didn't know they got that big.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum