Texas Fishing Forum

Cally Slabs and Cats!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/20/15 11:12 PM

Myself,Mike "USMC-GY",and Donny "Lead Pencil" made a trip out to Lake Calaveras to catch some of those "Cally Slabs". We fished from 9am till 1pm and the bite was good. We caught some AWESOME Bluegill and some SUPER Channel Cats. We also caught numerous Reds but they were all under size and released. We boated about 50 fish and kept a combination of 20 Bluegill and Channels. The Bluegill were 8 to 10 inches in length and the Channels were between 3 to 6 pounds. Fish were caught using both drop shop and bottom techniques. All of the Bluegill and Reds were caught on worms. The Channel Cats were caught on worms and cheese bait. Fish were located in 9 to 12 feet of water holding by structure. The water was stained with a strong current. Spending time catching a few fish with friends. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 12:00 AM

What a haul! Great looking bluegills and cats. Looks like a super fishing day.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 01:20 AM

Thanks "Smithaven" for the reply. cheers With all of the fresh water that has been added to the lakes due to all of the rainfall, the fish have a ton of energy and are putting up some super fights. boxing
Posted By: Lead Pencil

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 01:47 AM

What a great time I had fishing with Chuck and Mike. Pretty near a perfect day to be on the water with friends!
Posted By: Moto-Moto

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 02:47 AM

Looks like a fun trip gents.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 05:44 AM

Thanks "Moto-Moto" for the reply! Great times on the water with friends is what it is all about. cheers

Donnie: Enjoyed the trip buddy! Looking forward to the next one. fish Also you and your family have a safe and nice Memorial Day weekend. thumb
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 02:40 PM

Man those look good, I going to have to coook some fish this weekend and some cabrito for memorial day. everyone have a safe and fun memorial day weekend.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 02:50 PM

Thanks Jeff! Have a safe weekend. cheers

Side note: How is your place on the Cibolo looking? noidea
Posted By: J-Moe

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 03:12 PM

Great day with friends thumb
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 03:40 PM

Good looking catch as always Banker an fellas...WTG cheers

Now whens the fish fry??? I'll bring the sides or Modelo's!!!
Posted By: livebait

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 05:21 PM

I'll say this...every post that I have read of yours. Y'all know how to have a good time AND you catch fish, it don't get any better than that!!way to go !!

livebait
Mike
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 10:34 PM

I bet those big gills felt like small bass! Looks like some nice fillets to come.
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/21/15 11:57 PM

Awesome haul gents. Nice work. thumb

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/22/15 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Action_Jackson
Good looking catch as always Banker an fellas...WTG cheers

Now whens the fish fry??? I'll bring the sides or Modelo's!!!

Thanks Guys for the replies. cheers Cally is one heck of a Bluegill lake. It also has some super cats. coolio "AJ": Yes Sir if you are ever down this way let me know. Will fry up some fish and have a couple of Modelo's. thumb
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/22/15 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Jeff! Have a safe weekend. cheers

Side note: How is your place on the Cibolo looking? noidea

No clue.The wife and I have been working for about four weeks straight without a day off, and before that it was raining when we did have time to go. I want to try this weekend and see how it is.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/22/15 08:05 PM

Nice slabs and cats! thumb
Posted By: Wadefishing

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/22/15 10:32 PM

Nice going Guys. Looks like a lot of fun and some good eating there too. cheers

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/26/15 01:11 PM

Thanks Jeff,Jim,and Wade for the replies. Jeff: After seeing the Cibolo the other day you just might have a completely new spot! hmmm
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/26/15 03:59 PM

Nicely done! Looks like some great eating!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/27/15 02:21 AM

After seeing the size of those slabs I need to leave all the stink bait and catfish rods at home and specifically start targeting those bluegills. thumb
Posted By: Jater07

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/27/15 11:29 AM

Great trip guys. Good day to be on the water. Did the cats or bluegills have eggs?

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/29/15 08:42 AM

Thanks "Bissett" and Jim for the replies. cheers Yes Sir there are HUGE Bluegill in Cally! thumb
Posted By: highcountry

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 05/30/15 12:11 AM

Now that musta been a mighty tasty meal!

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/02/15 03:49 PM

Thanks "High Country" for the reply. cheers Yes Sir they tasted GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! food
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/04/15 07:13 PM

Nice Catch guys. woot I need to make it out there. I have not fished Cally in a while.

Side Note: How crowded is the wall? Also how is the lake condition? Heard it got a lot of rain the past week.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/09/15 02:05 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Cally is in good shape. coolio The wall had a lot of people fishing on it and is usually a busy spot during the summer. hmmm They are also letting some water out of the lake. The Bluegill bite is pretty good. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/10/15 05:39 PM

Nice catch guys. Love that lake!

Side Note: CPS is letting out water from both Cally and Braunig lakes.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/15/15 01:26 PM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. cheers If the weather forecaster's are right CPS will be letting out a whole lot more! Predictions anywhere from 4 to 8 inches of RAIN the next three days. juggle
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/16/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Cally is in good shape. coolio The wall had a lot of people fishing on it and is usually a busy spot during the summer. hmmm They are also letting some water out of the lake. The Bluegill bite is pretty good. thumb

With all of this rain we have been having Cally may be the place to fish since the lake levels are very controlled. Also thanks Chuck for the information.

Re: Cally Slabs and Cats! - 06/19/15 11:07 AM

Good point Curtis! eeks City Public Service was letting out water on Cally last week! The couple of times I have fished Cally these past few weeks the Bluegill bite was good. coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum