Texas Fishing Forum

Some Nice Creek Greens!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/02/15 09:16 PM

Myself and Mike "USMC-GY" made a quick trip to a local creek and we got into a bunch of nice Greens. We fished from 11:30am till 3:00pm and the bite was good. The creek was in excellent condition due to all of the resent rain. The water was muddy with good current. We caught about 25 nice fat Greens in the 7 inch range. Rounding out the catch were a couple of nice Redear in the 8 inch range and some fat Bluegill in the 7 inch range. Fish were caught in 2 to 4 feet of water. Worms were the bait of choice, with both bottom and float techniques being used. All fish were released to fight again. A great afternoon of creek fishing. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: ckwilson25

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/02/15 09:28 PM

Looks like a cool little creek Banker. Glad you guys had a good time. thumb
Posted By: Bob9

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/02/15 11:32 PM

Looks like they were hiding in chocolate milk. Nice catching, Chuck & Mike.

Bob
clap
Posted By: BigBerg

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/03/15 12:04 AM

Nice catching Banker and Mike...well done! thumb

Hit a creek up here last Sunday and the greenies were being voracious!
Love how aggressive these jokers can be at times...

Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/03/15 12:51 AM

Nice going guys cheers
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/03/15 01:19 AM

Nice catch...good size on em too!!! Fish fry coming soon huh food
Posted By: jagg

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/04/15 05:41 AM

Nice Chuck! thumb As soon as I saw your first pic, I knew there would be greenies. That pic screams, "Green Sunfish!"

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/05/15 12:00 PM

Thanks "Dawg's Neighbor",Andrew,"Jagg",and "AJ" for the replies. "Dawg's Neighbor": Nice Greens. Good job Sir. They are some hard hitters for sure. cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/07/15 05:29 PM

Nice Greens guys. Wonder when the water is going to stay clear for awhile. Checked and fished some area creeks this past week and man not only were the banks muddy they were slippery as well. Also the vegetation has really grown up around the creeks. Be careful where you step!

Side Note: Are the Greens spawning and do they spawn with the rest of the sunfish?

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/07/15 11:12 PM

Laker...in regards to whether they're spawning...up here I'd say definitely.
Fished the same creek this past Sunday again...full moon by the way...and I am certain they're bedding.
As to whether they spawn with the rest of the sunfish...time wise here...also yes...just different area of the same creek.
I've been catching a variety of sunfish from this creek...different parts of creek are holding different varieties. But lately all seem to be spawning...very fat and aggressive.
Here's a few more greenies from Sunday...choking the roadrunner...and an example of another variety from about 100 yards upstream in some cleaner water...

Posted By: jonesy_84

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/08/15 03:09 AM

Nice greenies Chuck and mike! Banker I need to get with you soon. I'd like to try and snag some sunfish records on the fly!

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/08/15 05:24 AM

Thanks Curtis,"Dawg's Neighbor" and "Jonesy_84" for the replies. cheers Curtis: The spawn is on in our area. A lot of greens I have been catching are super fat and loaded with eggs. They spawn the same time as the Bluegill and other sunfish. eeks "Dawg's Neighbor": Those are some fatties. Good job. clap "Jonesy_84": PM me anytime you are ready. There are a ton of fly rod records that are wide open. coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/11/15 06:18 PM

Love those Greens. Nice fish guys.

Side Note: Have you ever caught a cross between and Green and a Warmouth?
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/11/15 09:48 PM

Nice fish. Congrats. Question for you sunfish guys: assuming a bottom rig is your primary technique, when, what condones, do you go to a float setup?
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/12/15 01:55 PM

I usually throw one with a float and one without to see what is out there. If gills are in an area they will hit your bait within 30 seconds.
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/12/15 02:40 PM

I use the same method as jeffnsa. I usually try both and go with what seems to work the best. If I don't get at least a nibble within the first couple of casts, I look somewhere else. If I know exactly where some are it can be easier for me to visually know I'm right on top of them with the float. Also I'll use one if I keep getting hung up or there's thick salad all over the worm hook every time I bring it back.
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/12/15 06:40 PM

Jeff and Jigg, thanks. Appreciate the replies. Might need to start keeping two rods rigged up, I.e.,try both without having to re rig.

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/17/15 03:45 AM

Thanks guys for the all the replies! cheers Some great information shared. Nicely done. rockon

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/18/15 01:19 PM

Thanks "Dawgs Neighbor" and Chuck for the information. Got a feeling a lot of creek spawning fish were really moved around due to all the rain. Drove by two creeks this morning and they were flowing at full speed. Local ponds are over flowing.

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/21/15 02:48 PM

Yes Sir Curtis looks like a very wet year is ahead. hmmm Break out the RAIN GEAR! coolio

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/23/15 09:52 PM

With all the rain we've been having here in north Texas...I've been pleasantly surprised with the consistency of quality fish from the same creek week to week. With the constant rise and fall it's experienced for the last several weeks...I would have expected more of a push out of the fish. Yet the greenies are staying put and still spawning in the same areas...just as aggressive as ever. Here's a few more from this past Sunday...plus some bonus bass...including a couple of toads. The creek has remained fairly muddy from the current with very few cleaner water areas...but I'm not complaining grin

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/23/15 11:59 PM

"Dawg's Neighbor" those are some super fish. thumb That creek is producing some AWESOME FISH. cheers Good job Sir. rockon

Side Note: "Gitter" I have never seen or caught a cross between a Green and Warmouth. hmmm At least I think I have not. hammer
Posted By: JigandJeep

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/24/15 12:46 AM

Awesome job. Every time I pull one of those green sunfish out, or see pictures like you posted, I think I'm looking at something out of an aquarium. Beautiful fish you caught, the bass aren't bad either!

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/27/15 11:25 AM

Thanks "JigandJeep" for the reply. cheers Been catching some pretty nice Greens this years. coolio Seems that some of my creek spots are producing some good quality fish this year. thumb Hopefully I can still find em after all of this latest flooding. peep

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/28/15 11:16 AM

Awesome fish "Dawg's Neighbor"! woot

Love those Green's.

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/31/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Awesome fish "Dawg's Neighbor"! woot

Love those Green's.

Yes Sir totally Agree! thumb

Side Note: Also love all the other catches. cheers

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 05/31/15 05:12 PM

Thanks guys smile

Think I will give the creek another go this afternoon...maybe a few ponds as well.
The son in law called asking if I'd go fish today.

Re: Some Nice Creek Greens! - 06/02/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Dawg's Neighbor

Thanks guys smile

Think I will give the creek another go this afternoon...maybe a few ponds as well.
The son in law called asking if I'd go fish today.

Enjoy the time! Creek fishing with family is hard to beat! fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum