Texas Fishing Forum

Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip??

Posted By: taguzman

Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/03/15 11:01 PM

I originally posted in the Fly Fishing section, but they suggested I post here too since you guys have a good handle on what is going on in the Hill Country.

I’m looking to get out and fish some Hill Country rivers this weekend. It has been a couple years since I've fished this region and was hoping for a couple suggestions. I know that the drought and current cold weather will have an impact on where I should go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Posted By: jagg

Re: Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/03/15 11:33 PM

It would help if you narrowed down what part of the Hill Country you're looking at or how far you are willing to travel.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/04/15 12:08 AM

I have first hand information on the Blanco River. Blanco state park is AWESOME! It is located in Blanco TX. very clean and lots of nice bank area to fish. Sunfish,Bass,and Catfish can be caught. Also the area of the Blanco River that runs along River Road just outside the Blanco City Limits is nice. There are also some nice sections of the Perdernales River that run through Stone Wall. Plenty of Bluegill and Bass. If you go to Fredricksburg fish Lady Bird Park. The Live Oak creek goes completely through the park. Bluegill,Redbreast,Redear,and Bass. Plenty of Bank space and very fly rod friendly. You can also try Marble Falls both the lake and Johnson Park. Plenty of great places to eat in these cities and some super nice places to fish. All are fly rod friendly. Hope this helps you out. Let us know how you do. fish

Side Note: The best times to fish these places is from April through October. thumb
Posted By: taguzman

Re: Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/04/15 03:58 AM

Thank for the suggestions.
Since I was had a couple days to drive between locations. I didn't want to limit myself to a specific area.
I may try the Blanco or Colorado around Kingsland. I just didn't know how the low water conditions affected the rivers flow.

Thanks
Posted By: jagg

Re: Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/04/15 05:52 AM

I would suggest Garner State Park on the Frio River, Lost Maples State Park, Utopia Park Lake, the Frio near Leakey access the river from one of the many cabins there) and/or the Llano River near Junction.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Suggestions for Hill Country weekend trip?? - 03/04/15 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: taguzman
Thank for the suggestions.
Since I was had a couple days to drive between locations. I didn't want to limit myself to a specific area.
I may try the Blanco or Colorado around Kingsland. I just didn't know how the low water conditions affected the rivers flow.

Thanks

Water conditions are pretty good on all of the Hill Country Rivers! Hill Country has gotten some rain this winter. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum