Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 12:50 PM

plays house wit this ....
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 12:52 PM

ya git this ?
i think ....
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 01:04 PM

Gill/Green Mix. noidea Been seeing a lot of mixing these past two years with the Sunnies. breakdance It's getting harder to tell what some of em are. hammer

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 01:07 PM

interesting stuff .....
wonder what else kan cross in the "sunfish" family
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn
interesting stuff .....
wonder what else kan cross in the "sunfish" family

I have been catching some Bass that look like they may have crossed mixed. nuts I sent a picture of one to Parks&Wildlife last year that I caught out of the Comal River. hooked The fish was almost solid gold in color but had the horizontal markings common to the Large Mouth.I had thought it was a carp at first look while it was in that clear water. When I got it out of the water I thought it may be a spotted bass. noidea Parks&Wildlife stated it was some sort of a Hybrid. loco_2
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 09:30 PM

The problem with the mixes is that they are usually small. I saw a lot of green/bluegill mixes this morning. All small. I think the mixing takes place when there are too many fish for the lake and food supply and there are zillions of stunted fish spawning.
Posted By: metalmike

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/09/13 10:57 PM

I think when a gill crosses with a redear you get a gillcracker:)I usually catch more hybrids in the creek.....

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/10/13 11:44 AM

interesting theories for sure ....
in this particular spot there are some pretty large hybrid sunfish compared to the blugill and greens that don't seem to be crossed living in there .....
none of the fish are typically what I consider to be very large sunfish though ...probably due to the smaller water body size and the fact they haven't had any new genetics introduced in who knows how long ....straight line breeding isn't usually a good thing ...
of course I am not sure as to all the reasons and I am sure a lot of it would be theoretical since I don't think folks study small ponds very close
Posted By: Laker One

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/10/13 03:37 PM

I have caught a lot of what seems to be Bluegill/Redear Mix. hmmm Caught a few two weeks ago on Lake Austin and all through out the summer on Dunlap and Mcqueeney. Hard to tell what they are sometimes. noidea I will say this. They can get big in the larger lakes and rivers. dance2

Re: when this crosses wit that ....? - 09/10/13 05:59 PM

texas parks and wildlife recognized the green/redear cross many moons ago as an actual species in texas .....
i have a terribly old fish species of texas poster from "Lone star " beer framed very nicely in oak and glass ....
got it a few years before my 26 year old was born ....
Lone star beer borrowed the pictures ......
compliments of the texas parks and wildlife
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum