Texas Fishing Forum

Redear In Fort Worth?

Posted By: fishing_ken

Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/25/13 02:55 AM

Wondering if any of these lakes in the fort worth area hold redear. Id love to catch some without breaking the bank traveling to them. Do fishing for them differ from bluegill?
Posted By: flybug

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/25/13 03:20 AM

Fishing for um is very much the same as other gills, yes we do have um up here though they are not bountiful like catch one every other cast, ive had my best luck here in creeks for um but you will sort tgrough a mess of other species which to me is half the fun lol
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/25/13 06:15 AM

There should be plenty of Redear in your area. Like "Flybug" stated fish for em just like you would fish for Bluegill. Live worms seem to work the best for me. cheers
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/25/13 10:13 AM

I have never caught a redear in Lake Weatherford among all the thousands of sunfish I have caught there in 25 years of fishing the lake. Also, I have never caught redear in Sunshine Lake or Holland Lake. There are none in Love Street Lake.

I have caught only one or two redear in Lake Mineral Wells.

However, some farm ponds in the area have redear.

I plan a trip to Caddo to catch redear early in May.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/25/13 11:02 PM

Where ever you have Bluegill you should have Redear. I would fish for em just like you would fish for Bluegill.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/26/13 03:52 PM

I would not fish for redears the same as I fish for bluegills. If you want to fish for redears, look for mud bottom in at least 5' of water and deeper. The best redears spots will have crunched up shells or just bare bottom. Bluegills will orientate around weeds and wood for the most part. The better size redears are not cover orientated. Bluegills you can catch from the top to the bottom. Shellcrackers stay on the bottom. That's just to name a few differences. Sometimes you can catch them together, but I've often found the bigger shellcrackers out deeper than the other species and the big ones also don't congregate much with the smaller sunfish.

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/26/13 05:38 PM

Thanks everyone. Thats what I was thinking jagg. I was also hoping to find them around a lake dam. Was told to hit marine creek because they had a few and did fairly well. Worked the dam without much. Caught maybe 5 bluegill. Didnt get any crickets but wigglers worked fine. Walked around to a cut and found some bedded gills and 1 redear. All fish were 5-6 inches.Nothing big was caught but I was able to prove there are redear in marine creek. Needless to say I found enough action close enough to my new apt to be going back!
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/29/13 07:21 PM

hey ken ...the population according to what I read last year in marine creek is dwindling for un known reasons along with the average size .....
as were the average sizes of the gills in there ,,,,
even though the numbers were high on the gills
the average size was dwindling also ...
tpw does extensive surveys on that spot ....
check out the latest survey from a year or so ago ....
it looked pretty sad , kept me from trying it I might add ...

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/30/13 04:12 AM

Thanks for that info... that sucks though. Well eagle mountain in next i guess.
Posted By: mrbelvetron

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/30/13 04:18 AM

I've gotten into a bunch of longear on EM and some bunches of 6-7 inch gills but not many. No redears there yet. Good luck!

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 04/30/13 08:14 PM

Mrbelvetron are you bank fishing? If you dont mind sharing what bank access is a good place to start looking?

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/01/13 01:07 AM

We usually find them in coves on the eastside of the lake and fish any brush or overhanging trees.

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/01/13 01:09 AM

Sorry i didn't answer part of the question. We fish from a boat.

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/01/13 01:28 AM

When they really get going i think ill try e.m. .... I hope there is some bank access cause Id probably try bank before I drag the boat from arlington (it stays at the parents house) do you know the name of the park or marine to put in at? Thanks for the info!

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/01/13 03:58 AM

We put in at the marina on the west side of the damn. Lakeview I believe is the name.
Posted By: PatrickDominick

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/03/13 07:24 PM

I've caught some in Echo lake in Fort Worth. Right off Ripy Ave. on 35W.

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/04/13 02:24 AM

Any size to them patrick?
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/31/13 05:04 AM

Lake Benbrook used to have a good population of red ears but like all the other species of fish they probably have declined in numbers with the introduction or arrival of several new species of fish since they started pumping in the water from other lakes.
You cannot drop a red worm in the lake and expect to catch bream like you used to because the yellow bass will wear you out, Suppose you could try corn but don't think they prefer it like they do live bait, Heck we used to seine up shellcrackers a dozen at a time over by the dam. Nowadays, good luck.
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/31/13 05:07 AM

Check out this one:
http://www.wired2fish.com/nearly-world-record-red-ear-caught-p18015

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/31/13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: fishing_ken
Any size to them patrick?

kareful brother ....that is the TOP LAKE FOR NO NO NO KEEPIN A FISH brother ..... eeks
i have heard its full a sunnies though

Re: Redear In Fort Worth? - 05/31/13 12:18 PM

why dont we just take a ride to my spot .....
i am tellin we ketch lots a eatin size ones there....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum