Texas Fishing Forum

A Great Day on Amistad!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 02:46 PM

Had an opportunity to fish Lake Amistad and myself and Mike "USMC_GY" made it a two day outing. The first day we hit the banks. Had a hard time finding any fish at first but finally we were able to locate some hungry Gills. The Gills were small but Mike managed to catch a nice Bass that was between 2.50 lbs and 3 lbs. The next day we went out the Pro guide/Bass Pro Kurt Dove. This guy is simply outstanding. He not only puts you on some good fish he teaches you a lot from everything to how to rig tackle, to fish patterns. He is also just a super guy to fish with. Fishing was slow throughout the hole day but we did manage to boat 14. We used both artificial worms and top water frogs. We had a ton of "Bump Bites" where the fish would barely hit the bait. If we could have caught some of those we could have boated 50. Biggest fish caught was between 4 and 5 pounds. Lots of great scenery on a huge lake. We were also able see Mexico from several places we were fishing at. This was my fourth time fishing with Kurt and I plan on fishing with him a whole lot more. Great time on a Great Lake.

Posted By: dafanman

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 02:58 PM

Nice coolphotos

Excellent fish thumb

Sounds like an excellent trip for the 2 of you cheers

Laterz,
dafanman cool

Posted By: TuN3R

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 03:01 PM

Nice fishes smile

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 03:05 PM

I always love those travel trips. flag Thanks Robert for the reply. I may want to add that we had a super steak dinner at the Cripple Creek Steak House in Del Rio and had a super breakfast type dinner at Daddies Grill in Bracket Ville on our way home. food Also it looked like the whole area between Castroville and Del Rio got a lot of rain. Some of the creeks had some good water in em. The Hondo Creek looked like a river. juggle It was a very nice sight to see. clap We can still use a whole lot more of rain. Amistad is about 7 feet low. fish

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 03:08 PM

Thanks "Tun3r". Amistad has some very nice fish. hooked If you ever get a chance to fish that lake DO IT ! fish

Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 03:46 PM

Wow looks nice! That first fish looks very interesting for some reason.

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 03:52 PM

Thanks "jshaw2025"! Mike knew you were out after that Bonus Bass so he had to hit Amistad to nail one! hooked He figured it would be either you or "fishinwithbud".

Side Note: There will be a few bonus Bass coming in the future! cheers

Posted By: gar1970

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 05:08 PM

nice fish! great report.iv noticed the gills on amistad are so bite shy for some reson

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 05:15 PM

Thanks "Gar1970" for the reply. I think it is because of the super clear water and the huge bass population. I would not want to be a blue gill in that lake. thumb I think that those Amistad bass eat a lot of em. I do know they have some nice Gills and other Sunnies in that lake. I figure they would be in one of those back coves. The next time I am in your next of the woods I would like to meet up.Would love to meet you and buy dinner! food

Posted By: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 05:49 PM

wonderful fish you two, Its a nice break to catch some big pole bending fish. Glad ya'll made it back safe and sound

Posted By: Roofish

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 05:54 PM

Good Job Guys, Looks like fun. Hey Mike, my son has that shirt, Sempre Fi flag

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:13 PM

i agree 100% i wouldnt want to be a gill in that lake either!! the most productive lure iv used out there is a bomber crank bait that looks just like a perch blue gold and red color.let me know next time your in God country would like to meet up also then fish the west prong.

Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
i agree 100% i wouldnt want to be a gill in that lake either!! the most productive lure iv used out there is a bomber crank bait that looks just like a perch blue gold and red color.let me know next time your in God country would like to meet up also then fish the west prong.

Didn't know you were from northwest Georgia!! grin

Posted By: Don Morey

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:22 PM

This report is SOOOOOOOOO offtopic

WHERE'S THE GILLS!jk sarcastic

Good report, hope you ate those gill eaters.

Posted By: Manchu

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:22 PM

who's the buckeye fan?

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:35 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Don we tried to get some gills for the photo op but they are to busy hiding form those big Amistad Bass! hide2

"Gar 1970" Will pm you later! Would love to fish that Western side of gods country. cheers

"Manchu" The Buckeye fan is Mike. He is 100 percent true blue Ohio Sate Buckeye fan! taz He also loves the Cleveland Indians. bang

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/14/11 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jshaw2025
Originally Posted By: gar1970

Didn't know you were from northwest Georgia!! grin
haha!!westprong nueces river valley is Gods country. past generations of native americans would agree

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 12:02 AM

For what I can see that Nueces River area is going to be hard to beat! thumb The fishing I was able to do there will diffidently be hard to beat! woot

Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 05:39 AM

coolphotos That looks like one super Lake. fish Those Bass look GREAT! cheers How deep were you catching em? Sounds like you guys had a super time. Good job as always! woot

Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 12:58 PM

Wow guys, that looks like one heck of a trip!!! Thanks for the report and pictures.

Posted By: drrouter

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 02:44 PM

Those are some outstanding bassgills. I love catching bassgills. But I think you're cheating when you're not using ultralight fishing equipment! smile

For those of you wondering; the reason I call them bassgills is because they are part of the sunfish family!

"The largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) is a species of Black bass in the sunfish family native to North America . It is also known as widemouth bass, bigmouth, black bass, bucketmouth, Potter's fish, Florida bass, Florida largemouth, green bass, green trout, linesides, Oswego bass, southern largemouth and (paradoxically) northern largemouth.[2] The largemouth bass is the state fish of Alabama[3] (official freshwater fish), Georgia,[4] Mississippi,[5] Florida[6] (state freshwater fish), and Tennessee[7] (official sport fish)."

Bassgills

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 03:14 PM

Thanks Guys for the replies. "Laker One" Glad to see you made it back from the Big D. Thanks for updating the standing board. We caught the fish in 5 to 15 feet of water. hooked

"DR" Totally correct on the Bass being part of the Sunfish family. Super information. cheers

Posted By: USMC_Guy

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 03:23 PM

That was a great trip Chuck. I may be converted to a bass guy yet! Not. But it was fun and I learned a lot from Kurt. Trying to find the gills on that lake was an adventure.

Manchu - I am the Buckeye fan unfortunately. This year at least. They will bounce back once they clean out the Tressel mentality.

Roofish - Semper Fi! I had to get that shirt when I saw it. I'm sure your son will make the right decision when the time comes.

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/15/11 03:51 PM

Glad you had a good time Mike. Enjoyed it a lot also. Maybe you can talk your wife into getting a 2012 Skeeter Bass Boat for Christmas! hmmm If so we can plan a Amistad trip every month! clap

Also was glad you were able to catch those huge Spring fed Longears. hooked Those Kinney County Longears are hard to beat! thumb

Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/16/11 06:07 AM

What a super day of fishing on a very super lake. cheers Good job guys. woot I have fished Amistad a lot over the years and I can say it is truly one of my favorite lakes. fish Are the fish starting to get into their winter patterns? noidea

Posted By: Peytonator

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/16/11 12:58 PM

Glad y'all had a fun trip! Amistad has some beautiful scenery flehan

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/16/11 03:24 PM

Thanks "LR" and "Gitter" for the replies. "Gitter" I think the Bass are starting to get into a winter pattern. I also think the Sunnies are changing their patterns as well. We have some cooler weather coming in this week and that should really scatter the fish. The fish are moving to a little deeper water. Right now pre winter feeding is taking place. fish

Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/16/11 04:12 PM

Nice fish Banker! A great trip for sure! thumb

Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/17/11 06:20 AM

Thanks Chuck. I also think the winter patterns are beginning to set in. I think the fish will be in a little deeper water and on drop offs.

Re: A Great Day on Amistad! - 10/17/11 05:17 PM

Thanks "Chuck Wagon" I love that Big Blue. woot Give me a box of Red Wigglers and a good bank spot and I would be in heaven. flag

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum