Texas Fishing Forum

More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?!

Posted By: drrouter

More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 02:58 AM

I caught another mutant fish today.

What the heck!?

Posted By: Fish Predator

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 03:02 AM

That's definitely an Oscar. I had some as pets. They are some agressive feeders and can get 16 inches within 2 or 3 years. I wish we had some in the ponds around here. Nice catch!
Posted By: MsSunfishDelight

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 03:08 AM

Whoa! An oscar?! I didn't know those would live in a pond... my Mom used to have those - they were horribly mean which I guess translates as aggressive for fishing.

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 03:11 AM

It's the second one I've caught. They are very pissed off when you catch them. It crapped all over me when I was trying to take the hook out, and when I put it back in the water, it really didn't swim away....
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 03:13 AM

cheersNice Fishcheers You don't see Oscars that often. You never know what you are going to catch at your local community pond.frkazoid
Posted By: Peytonator

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 05:13 AM

If I remember right, it's pretty common to catch those in Florida, nice catch!
Posted By: 210amatuerangler

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 08:00 AM

Hey throw those back so I can catch those when they are 20+ inches please. smile. Which tank are you catching them in? Looks like the upper in the left hand side. I'd like to see them first hand personally, just so I can watch them grow. Wouldn't it be fun for all of us to have a new fish to conquer? And please, whatever you do, don't throw them into any other body of water in Texas lol.
Posted By: jagg

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 09:37 AM

Definitely an Oscar. If you think they are mean to anglers, you should see how they treat other bream and bass. They push around the bass and bream bad; bully them off of there beds and compete highly for the food. When ever I catch any invasive species, I gut 'em and throw them on the bank. Just my $.02
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 01:16 PM

Drrouter, that's is just AWESOME!!! I too had them as pets. Those are some really cool fish. Man you need to show me this place. I have always dreamed about catching one of those things on a fishing rod.
Posted By: MsSunfishDelight

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jagg
They push around the bass and bream bad; bully them off of there beds and compete highly for the food

That's all I need to know to make sure I get rid of them from the body of water if I find one. Sheesh... how do those even get in there - someone throwing their pets away?

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/26/11 11:15 PM

I caught them on the smaller of the two ponds. They are a mean nasty fish; they [censored] on you and make a gurgling/growling noise when caught.
Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 03:07 AM

hahah you can't say C-r-a-p on here?

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 09:14 AM

Aw c'mon guys, I'd like to catch one of those when they push 10lbs ><. But if you want to get rid of them I won't be disheartened, as long as that pond still manages to produces those 10+lb green trash fish! smile

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 09:17 AM

And yes Ms. Mar... Sunfish they are probably someone who grew a fish too big and decided it was a good idea to throw them into a pond that is full of Texas natives. I will gladly fish the banks with you and give you great directions to get to these ponds. They do in fact hold monster gills and sunfish, as I have seen them on beds (some push 10+ inches). Chuck or Mike if you're game I'll gladly help you too, as long as you promise to put me on more bank fished bass! smile I don't mean to hijack the thread but I definately wouldn't mind catching a 10+lb oscar and releasing to grease!
Posted By: Comeonfish

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 06:31 PM

no worries ill put them in my fish tank. ha! they will die in the winter they need warm water year round which is why they survive well in florida.

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 06:41 PM

where is that pond anyways?

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/27/11 07:33 PM

It's off of Montgomery road right before it turns into Walzem. You will see a Chevron (on your left or right depending on which way you are coming) and a neighborhood straight across from it, and the ponds are in that neighborhood.

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/28/11 02:51 AM

tight thanks
Posted By: chucktx

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/28/11 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: jagg
Definitely an Oscar. If you think they are mean to anglers, you should see how they treat other bream and bass. They push around the bass and bream bad; bully them off of there beds and compete highly for the food. When ever I catch any invasive species, I gut 'em and throw them on the bank. Just my $.02

i was talking with a biologist today, he suggested they be removed also. they are not good for a lakes ecology. he believes they taste like talapia..(sp).....
Posted By: jshaw2025

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/28/11 07:14 PM

Yeah they should taste very similar to Tilapia. They're both cichlids afterall.
Posted By: FishWalton

Re: More Windcrest Pond Mutant Fish!?! - 05/29/11 03:20 AM

Oscars are bad news to some but apparently they provide a good fishery in south Florida. Some say they taste bad and some say good. Have never heard of one being caught in the FL panhandle.
It's against the law to release back one that is caught, same for flathead cats since they are not naive fish.;

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/fish/freshwater-fish/oscar/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum