Texas Fishing Forum

Bluegill 101

Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Bluegill 101 - 04/18/08 02:56 PM

I have been wanting to try for some big 'gills for the last couple of years and have decided to give it a try while my jugs are soaking.

If I could get some pointers for now on until the early stages of summer just to get me headed in the right direction I would really appreciate your help.

Specifically I will be fishing Lake Bonham but I am not asking for anyones honey holes. Just general pattern trends.

Thanks
Posted By: BBrown

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/18/08 04:45 PM

Fish the full moons in May and June and look for the beds in shallow water around reeds, grass, etc.

Good luck.....don't know about Bonham but bluegills are bluegills and they like worms and crickets....popping bugs too!
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/18/08 08:08 PM

Totally agree w/BBrown...and would only add that if you want to target large BG as opposed to large numbers of BG, then use larger baits/lures/flys.
Posted By: fishsalot

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/18/08 11:09 PM

so it still to soon
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/18/08 11:20 PM

Hit the pond on the way home from work, it was great.
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/19/08 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: fishsalot
so it still to soon

No, the April full moon is just about here...its time to get out there after the big 'ens. I'll try to fish for big BG every day now for the next few days. The only better time for me is next month at full moon...its time to fish or cut bait!
Posted By: THE_COACH

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/20/08 05:44 PM

Go get em with a cricket, 4 lb test, and a long shank #10 hook

You'll have more fun than you can even imagine

Posted By: Bluegilll

Re: Bluegill 101 - 04/27/08 12:01 AM

Full moon in april,may & june is prime.You will alot of action during these times of them months.Meal worms,night crawlers,red worms & crickets & maggots& jigs is hot baits.Maggots does really well for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum