Texas Fishing Forum

FCL Update (9/5/22)

Posted By: Vogey

FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 02:10 AM

Fished FCL today with Alan (Choclabdog) from daybreak to 3:30. Weather was really nice...semi overcast most of the day with light to medium winds. Mainly wanted to check out the lake for dead fish from the turnover & see if we could get any to bite. Saw some fish floating all over, but I don't believe this was anything like the fish kill in the fall of 2019. The state biologist said that around 6700 Bluegill & 280 bass died as of last Friday. I have to admit that the bite was slower for us today than "normal" but we did manage to get 15 bass & around 50 sunfish. In many of the sunfish spots we fished they were either not active, or have started the transition to deeper areas. Also the sunnies were quite a bit smaller on average than past weeks. As far as the bass, we didn't catch any over 5 pounds today, but had 2 that were a few ounces shy. I guess we should count our blessings, because we talked to a guy in the afternoon that had not caught a fish all day. [Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 02:51 AM

Great post and fish. Looks like Fayette should make a nice comeback. thumb

Good job guys. cheers
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 12:26 PM

That's good about the fish kill. I saw a lot of fish floating, more when I came back in to the ramp. It seemed most were in the confined areas of the lake, like Oak Thicket cove. So maybe that's where it was the worst because the fish couldn't get out to good water maybe? Anyway, good report and hopefully it's a done deal for this year.
One thing about it, the bluegills and bass are doing well spawning from what I saw.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 02:52 PM

Looks like some fish survived! Nice post and pics Vogey cheers

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 03:31 PM

Thankd Chuck & Yesenia

Bill...Most of the dead fish I saw were in Oak Thicket cove as well & it really wasn't that many...all sunfish. I was expecting to see buzzards lined up on the shorelines just waiting to feast like in 2019, but didn't see any...
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 04:28 PM

There were a few buzzards eating fish on the dam, but not many.
Posted By: Skeeter John

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/06/22 08:37 PM

I got the same report you did Vogey. Sunfish were hit the hardest and then lots of small bass. Sadly, a few big bass died, but nothing too dramatic. Had a buddy fish Saturday and he said it was tough.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/09/22 05:15 PM

Glad to see some nice Bluegill have survived. Hopefully Fayette comeback soon! Nice post and fish always.

Side Note: Since you fish Fayette a lot, what is your take on the fish kill. Also what effect will it have on next years Bluegill/bass bite?

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/09/22 05:57 PM

Tom...I believe the effect of this event is minimal. We still may have a significant event in another month when the ACTUAL" lake turnover occurs as cold fronts start coming in, but this may actually be beneficial by culling out some of the smaller fish...
Posted By: Laker One

Re: FCL Update (9/5/22) - 09/11/22 08:52 PM

Thanks for the Fayette post Vogey. Glad you guys found some fish. woot

Side Note: You might want to hit Decker. Bluegill bite has been good this month. hooked
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum