Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Walter Long

Posted By: J-Moe

Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/03/22 11:11 PM

Walter Long has become my go to Lake over the summer. I haven't been able to find sunfish around the reeds at Fayette this year but they have continued to stay around the reeds or in the shallow grass beds for most of the summer on Walter Long.

I catch bluegill, redear and hybrid sunfish that are as big or bigger than the ones I catch on Fayette. But Walter Long has the added bonus of Redbreast, Crappie, White bass and Hybrid bass.

Today was one of those fantastic days. The water was like glass and there was heavy cloud cover all morning. I worked my way down the banks catching sunfish for a couple hours. While I was fishing I saw a bunch of thrashing of the water across the lake on the far bank. So I paddled across and found Hybrid bass feeding on shad.

I ended up catching 7 hybrids and 3 largemouth chasing the shad. Those hybrids will wear you out with a fly rod. I could have caught 2 or 3 with a rod and reel in the time it takes me to fight them into the net with a fly rod.

I fished until about 11:30 and ended up catching 40 plus sunfish, 7 hybrid bass, 6 largemouth bass and 2 crappie.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: jonboatfishing

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 01:55 AM

Nice post and fish J-Moe
I fished that lake one time couple of years back. Being that close to Austin, does it get a lot of traffic during the week? Which boat ramp do you recommend for launching?
Thanks
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 02:27 AM

Solid post and solid fish. Good job Jamie. thumb
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 02:34 AM

Great report Jamie...That is a underrated lake for sure. I have never caught any hybrid stripers there, but all the others. Do you happen to know what the water temp was? Also, next time you have a trip planned for FCL let me know...
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 04:42 PM

Nice fish J-Moe! Love fishing Decker! coolio

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jonboatfishing
Nice post and fish J-Moe
I fished that lake one time couple of years back. Being that close to Austin, does it get a lot of traffic during the week? Which boat ramp do you recommend for launching?
Thanks

I was there on Friday. There were only 4 cars in the parking lot when I got there. Traffic during the week is mild from what I can see. I only know of one ramp to launch boats.

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Great report Jamie...That is a underrated lake for sure. I have never caught any hybrid stripers there, but all the others. Do you happen to know what the water temp was? Also, next time you have a trip planned for FCL let me know...

Thanks Vogey, I didn't check the water temperature.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/04/22 09:57 PM

Awesome post J-Moe thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/09/22 05:05 PM

Love those Austin area post. Good job Sir.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fly Fishing Walter Long - 09/11/22 08:42 PM

Nice fish J-Moe. Also good post. coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum