Texas Fishing Forum

A Trip to God's Country!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Trip to God's Country! - 08/12/22 02:45 PM

Made a trip to the deep southwest to "God's Country"! Fished Leo's and Yesenia's (Gar1970, and Pot Licker's) front yard. The West Prong Nueces River needs plenty of RAIN however the spring fed blue hole is holding up. Caught plenty of trophy size Rios in 10 to 11 inch range, several nice Redear, a nice Large Mouth Bass, and a couple of nice Bluegill rounded out the catch. I fished from 9am till 12 noon. Prior to fishing the West Prong, I was able to fish several spots on the Nueces River, and caught Guadalupe Bass, Warmouth, Longear, Bluegill, and a nice Bullhead Catfish. All fish were released. After a day of fishing I met up with Leo and Yesenia for a fantastic lunch of Bar B.Q. Brisket at Ziggy's Bar Bar B.Q. in Brackettville TX. Fishing God's Country and meeting up with good friends. It just don't get any better. fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: trapperben

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/12/22 05:08 PM

Everything is beautiful with the posts and pictures Banker. Of course my eyes are old and could be deceiving me, I thought I saw jigs in the pictures!

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/12/22 06:54 PM

Thanks trapperben for the reply. cheers When fishing for sunfish I always use worms. The one picture you saw was a Warmouth being caught using a very small split shot. There was a worm on the hook that the fish had gotten off. thumb

Side Note: I use very small split shots while fishing heavy weed, grass, and hydrilla beds. hooked
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/12/22 07:37 PM

Nice Rio Chuck. I see you lipped the fish. The one and only that I caught had enough small teeth showing that I opted not to lip the fish.

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/13/22 12:45 AM

Thanks Curt for the reply. cheers Rios are one of the most uncooperative fish when it comes to taking pictures. Once I have a finger barley on the gill plate and a thumb in the lower mouth they become totally cooperative. They will fight you until the release. boxing
Posted By: Vogey

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/13/22 02:16 AM

Nice ones Chuck...super pretty water...
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/13/22 03:13 AM

Great post Chuck! We enjoyed having lunch with you and visiting!
You caught some really nice fish clap
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/13/22 03:31 AM

thumb fish

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/13/22 03:37 AM

Thanks Steve, Yesenia, and Scoundrle for the replies. thumb Love that Nueces and West Prong Nueces fishing! hooked
Posted By: gar1970

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/14/22 02:42 AM

awesome variety of fish caught Chuck clap goes to show everything will eat a worm hooked

Its always a pleasure meeting up with you! the fellowship, the friendship, and great food. it just dont get any better!

side note : how big was that warmouth? it looks like a few pounds eeks

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 08/26/22 11:46 AM

Thanks Leo for the reply. Love the fellowship for sure. cheers The Warmouth was about 9.50 inches. As for weight just guessing a little under a pound. It was a "fatty" noidea
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/09/22 05:10 PM

Nice post and nice fish. Glad seeing you made out to your favorite area to fish. Thanks for sharing as always.

Side Note: Did this latest rain help. When I saw the weather reports during this past rain event the Delrio and Brackettville areas looked like they were getting plenty of rain.

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/11/22 01:34 PM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. thumb A lot of my favorite spots got some much needed RAIN! This latest rain event helped out a lot. I plan on fishing some of those areas this upcoming week. hooked
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/19/22 02:19 AM

Nice fish. You do fish at some very nice spots. coolio

Side Note: How has your Rio bite been this year? noidea
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/20/22 12:42 AM

The different fish all caught here, I would say it qualifies for the title of Grand Slam!!!

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/24/22 02:34 PM

Thanks Curtis and Rowdy for the replies. Curtis: Had a hard time finding Rios this year. I have caught a bunch of trophy size Rios but they were few a far between. Most of my Rio spots were effected by the drought and the dams being broke on both Dunlap and Placid. bang I had to travel to some far away spots to find them. thumb Rowdy: Yes Sir you can call it a "Grand Slam" for sure! Thanks for the reply. cheers
Posted By: K.G

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 09/25/22 01:50 AM

Sound's like a Fine day on the water.thumb

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 10/15/22 03:43 AM

Thanks K.G for the reply! cheers
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 10/28/22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Thanks Gitter for the reply. thumb A lot of my favorite spots got some much needed RAIN! This latest rain event helped out a lot. I plan on fishing some of those areas this upcoming week. hooked

Thanks Chuck. Hopefully next year we get some nice rain.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 11/20/22 06:27 PM

Thanks Curtis and Rowdy for the replies. Curtis: Had a hard time finding Rios this year. I have caught a bunch of trophy size Rios but they were few a far between. Most of my Rio spots were effected by the drought and the dams being broke on both Dunlap and Placid. bang I had to travel to some far away spots to find them. thumb Rowdy: Yes Sir you can call it a "Grand Slam" for sure! Thanks for the reply. cheers

It was a tough year for me on the Rios as well. No the feeling. hide2

Re: A Trip to God's Country! - 11/29/22 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One

It was a tough year for me on the Rios as well. No the feeling. hide2

I did manage to catch some nice Rios during late September through October! Overall the Rio bite was only fair for me. juggle
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum