Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Hawkins Report

Posted By: Tom Baty

Lake Hawkins Report - 08/05/22 06:54 PM

I decided to try something different yesterday and fish Lake Hawkins for sunfish. The latest TPWD survey report showed some promise of larger redear, but if they're in there, I didn't find them. I spent the morning fishing the weedlines and lily pads up-lake from the bridge and was nearly pecked to death by small, bait-stealing bluegill, only managing to catch one redear. The largest fish was maybe 5 inches, nothing to write home about. I was in my kayak, so range was limited; maybe if you could get out to deeper water you could find some bigger fish. I was casting a 1/64th oz jig head with a red wiggler on it. I also tried a bobber setup, but didn't have any luck on it.

The lake is very clear with lots of vegetation. I've never been to Hawkins in any season other than winter, so I'm not sure if that's the cause, but this is as "weedy" as I've ever seen it. Despite the lack of fish, I still enjoyed the day. Hawkins is beautiful, and that area of the lake is wonderful for a kayak fisherman.

My dad texted me this morning and asked if my son and I would want to go fish bluegill on Athens in his boat tomorrow. Hopefully redemption awaits!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Hawkins Report - 08/05/22 08:58 PM

At least you got out there. Keep fishing and good things will happen. Nice post. thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Lake Hawkins Report - 08/06/22 03:44 AM

Atleast you didn't get skunked 😃! Let us know how yall did on Athens. Good luck!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Lake Hawkins Report - 08/07/22 02:34 PM

Always love reading post from other areas of the state. Thanks for sharing. coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Lake Hawkins Report - 08/22/22 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Laker One
Always love reading post from other areas of the state. Thanks for sharing. coolio

Yes Sir.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum