Texas Fishing Forum

Reel size ?

Posted By: WaltPope

Reel size ? - 05/09/22 02:16 PM

I’ve got a 8’ fast light Okuma spinning rod that I want to pair with a reel and line combination for maximum distance mainly for bank fishing for panfish. Would my 2000 Centron KastKing be ok with appropriate line or should I pair with a smaller maybe 500? Really like the performance and value of my other KastKing reels.

Thanks
Posted By: CricketHook

Re: Reel size ? - 05/09/22 03:22 PM

I love the Lews Wally Marshall Pro Series crappie rods in either 6'6 or 7' lengths. My go to reels are all 1000 series spinning reels with either 8 or 10 lb braid. I use braid with a mono leader...no issues with line twist, easy to pull lightweight snagged hooks free and you can feel the lightest of bites. This rod and reel combo is balanced just right. Some of the 500 series reels are just too tiny for me.
Posted By: jagg

Re: Reel size ? - 05/09/22 04:28 PM

Between the two sizes, the size 500 would be your best bet. However, I agree with Cricket. The best option for your application would be a size 1000. Size 30 if you go with a Pflueger.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Reel size ? - 05/15/22 03:05 PM

welcome to the TFF!

Side Note: Agree with both of the above! woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Reel size ? - 05/22/22 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jagg
Between the two sizes, the size 500 would be your best bet. However, I agree with Cricket. The best option for your application would be a size 1000. Size 30 if you go with a Pflueger.

Jagg knows his tackle. Also welcome to the TFF!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum