Texas Fishing Forum

Easter Weekend in Athens

Posted By: Flags

Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/17/22 11:22 PM

I caught a long weekend from school since they gave us Good Friday off so I headed to Athens to see the Mrs and spend Easter with her. And of course I had to break out the float tube and check out my beloved Lake Athens. April is normally a slow month for the slabs and this year was no different. I hit all my usual spot and picked up a gill here and there but they were all little ones. I doubt I got one that would make the 5 inch mark. But I did manage to pull this out from under a dock.
[Linked Image]

Warmouth a special to me because I catch very few of them. If I am lucky I may get 3 in a year. I used to catch hundreds of them in VA when I was stationed there but I haven't found any really good spot for them in TX. I believe he is the 3rd one I have got in Athens. Needles to say, he went back in the water but he took a 1/100th oz jighead deep so I cut the line and didn't even try to take the hook out. I'm certain he will make it. As I said, I place a high value on warmouth.

While the gills tend to be slow in April, the crappie are usually willing to play. I got into good fish at several of my favorite crappie holes.
[Linked Image]

Bobby Garland Baby Shad in BlueGrass was the ticket. I didn't keep count but I'm guessing I got around 2 dozen or so. They were pretty evenly split between good legal sized fish and 8 inch dinks. Biggest was about 14 inches with a couple about 13 inches. I turned the bigger fish loose so they can spawn and keep the genes in the lake and I kept 6 fish between 10 3/4 inches and 12 inches for the fryer. Mrs Chief and I ate 3 last night and she has 6 filets in the freezer for a later date.
[Linked Image]

Cheers Y'all. Life is good here in TX. Happy Easter to all. He is risen!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/18/22 04:14 AM

Looks like you had a GREAT DAY! Good job Flags. thumb

Side Note: So far I have I not caught a Warmouth this year!
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/18/22 12:39 PM

Those crappie will cook up nice. Great post Flags. Glad to see some "Tube Time" on the water. Also love the color of the Warmouth.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/18/22 02:24 PM

That sure is a pretty warmouth, and some yummy looking crappie! cheers
Posted By: Tom Baty

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/25/22 04:40 PM

I was out on Athens that day and saw a man in a float tube, and thought it might be you. I'm glad you got on the crappie. I tried for them myself but didn't have any luck to speak of.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/25/22 06:58 PM

Beauty of a warmouth and some good looking crappie Flags! Thanks for the report clap
Posted By: Flags

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 04/25/22 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Baty
I was out on Athens that day and saw a man in a float tube, and thought it might be you. I'm glad you got on the crappie. I tried for them myself but didn't have any luck to speak of.

That would be me. I am the only one I know that fishes the lake in a tube. Lots of kayaks but as far as I know only me in a tube.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Easter Weekend in Athens - 05/01/22 02:02 PM

Awesome post and fish. Good job Flags. woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum