Texas Fishing Forum

Birds decimating fish population?

Posted By: Tommar

Birds decimating fish population? - 02/23/22 02:13 AM

I have a little perch jerkin pond nearby that I usually have pretty good luck at. I went last weekend and caught just one and only had 3-4 other bites. Usually I see fish swimming around (very clear spring fed water) but I only saw a few this time. I also usually see a couple blue herons or cranes around but not this time.

Could be totally off base but just wondering if they’re related to each other.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/23/22 03:53 AM

Birds and fish have been living together in the cycle of nature for millions of years. A couple blue herons isn't going to wipe out a fish population and cranes don't eat much in the way of fish at all, they feed mostly on grains, insects, retiles, frogs etc... I'd be more prepared to blame weather or something along those lines.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/23/22 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Flags
Birds and fish have been living together in the cycle of nature for millions of years. A couple blue herons isn't going to wipe out a fish population and cranes don't eat much in the way of fish at all, they feed mostly on grains, insects, retiles, frogs etc... I'd be more prepared to blame weather or something along those lines.

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/23/22 04:11 AM

How big is the pond ? Does it have water in it over 4 or 5 feet deep ?
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/24/22 01:16 AM

Pond is maybe 3-4 acres and not sure how deep it may be.

I’m hoping it was just a weather issue.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/25/22 09:05 PM

Very likely the cold weather. Go in late afternoon on a sunny warmer day and you should see the difference.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/25/22 09:41 PM

Like Horton said. I would think that the lack of catching is weather related. A couple of herons would not do much harm to a pond. If a flock of cormorants came through, then all bets are off.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/25/22 10:20 PM

In England, the coarse fishermen are always trying to murder cormorants and otters. Because they're worried they won't have enough carp to catch otherwise.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Birds decimating fish population? - 02/27/22 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Curt0407
Like Horton said. I would think that the lack of catching is weather related. A couple of herons would not do much harm to a pond. If a flock of cormorants came through, then all bets are off.

Plus 1. woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum