Texas Fishing Forum

Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks

Posted By: CC22

Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 03:28 PM

IN WINTER?
So where, what bodies of water, are good places to catch bluegill from the banks?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 03:51 PM

For me the winter time has always been the hardest time for catching Bluegill and sunfish in general. I fish 90 percent of the time from the bank. During the winter I search for the deepest parts of creeks, ponds, and small hill country rivers. I also look for weed and grass beds. Sunfish are not that active during the winter months where I fish. I also take advantage of the warm spells during the winter when the temperature highs get into the 70's. On some winter days usually during a warm spell I get lucky and find some active sunfish in the deeper pockets of water where I fish. The bite is usually slow but have caught some very nice fish. I also use the winter time to explore other water bodies and look for new spots to fish. You never have to many places to fish. thumb

Side Note: The times I have fished from a boat or off of docks during the winter I catch the sunnies in 15 to 20 feet of water by drop offs and brush piles. hooked
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 04:16 PM

I basically put sunfishing on the shelf until the water temp is 70 degrees or above. You can sometimes catch a few deep, but hardly worth the time if you can catch other species this time of year...like trout or bass....

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
I basically put sunfishing on the shelf until the water temp is 70 degrees or above. You can sometimes catch a few deep, but hardly worth the time if you can catch other species this time of year...like trout or bass....

Did pretty good yesterday at Fort Boggy we caught 24 bluegill in the shallows near the dock. Water temp at 52

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 04:40 PM

Good idea exploring other waters. We did that yesterday and caught 2 dozen. That will likely be our strategy for the coming month.

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 05:45 PM

Maybe that's the key to winter fishing, just get out there and do the darn thing.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/13/22 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by CC22
Maybe that's the key to winter fishing, just get out there and do the darn thing.

Totally agree! woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Best Bets for Bluegill from the Banks - 02/15/22 03:13 PM

What ever these guys say. I personally do not target sunfish but love reading the post and seeing the fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum