Texas Fishing Forum

The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22)

Posted By: Vogey

The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 03:54 AM

Finally got Doc back out on the water today. Very chilly and breezy day until around 4 pm when it calmed down and let us focus. Water temp ranged from 56 to 63 degrees depending on where you were. Water level still down about a foot and the lake was not super busy today...just the die-hards. We did some fishing for bluegills with 0 luck, but did catch a good number of bass. We ended up with 53 for the day. No real big ones, but a couple in the 3 lb. range. Had success on Ned Rigs and Culprit worms for the most part. Caught a few on Gulp Alive minnows and Ultra Lite while trying for Gils...That's always intense. Can't wait for warm weather !!!! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 04:47 AM

WTG Vogey and doc! Nice bass cheers
Nice to see doc back on the water clap
Posted By: choclabdog

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 12:59 PM

Good job guys! I hope to give it a try later in the week.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 01:41 PM

Winter fishing at it's best. Solid post and solid fish. Good job guys. cheers
Posted By: Strat-a-Caster

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 02:16 PM

Dang man! I would kill for a 53 fish day. But for Vogey and Doc, just another day on the water. Yall are always rippin lips out there man!

Some people say they want to be like superman when they grow up... my answer is Vogey!! haha

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 04:31 PM

Thanks Yesenia...I agree...yesterday, we talked about coming down your way this spring.
Thanks Ckuck & Alan...Best winter fishing ever, but can't wait til spring .
Stratton...The more time you spend on the water...the better you get...studying maps & learning electronics also helps a lot !

Also fyi...The lake level is currently at 389.68 MSL...Full pool is 391...so it is down 1.32 ft...
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/26/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pot licker
WTG Vogey and doc! Nice bass cheers
Nice to see doc back on the water clap

Me too grin Thanks PL !!

Posted By: Laker One

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/27/22 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Strat-a-Caster
Dang man! I would kill for a 53 fish day. But for Vogey and Doc, just another day on the water. Yall are always rippin lips out there man!

Some people say they want to be like superman when they grow up... my answer is Vogey!! haha

Plus #1.

Side Note: The man puts his hours in on that lake for sure. flehan
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/27/22 02:02 PM

Nice thumb

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/27/22 05:33 PM

Come on down! Hopefully we get rain to fill up the rivers thumb
Posted By: TomRom

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/28/22 02:05 AM

I went to Fayette today. Got on the lake around 11:30. Did not want to be a conehead. Haha. Fished a couple of places and did really well. Non stop action at my second stop. Left them still biting at 5 pm. Most of the fish were in the 15 to 17 inch range. Love it when the electronics finds them piled up. Talked to another guy who said he caught 43 pitching the timber. So they were definitely biting.

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/28/22 03:53 AM

Thanks Curti & Barry...good job Tom... Alan (choclabdog) did good today as well. Here are a few of his pics... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Laker One

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/30/22 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Thanks Curti & Barry...good job Tom... Alan (choclabdog) did good today as well. Here are a few of his pics... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice fish. coolio
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/30/22 06:45 PM

Nice bass choclabdog, good job. thumb

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 12:00 AM

Nice fish choclabdog! cheers

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by TomRom
I went to Fayette today. Got on the lake around 11:30. Did not want to be a conehead. Haha. Fished a couple of places and did really well. Non stop action at my second stop. Left them still biting at 5 pm. Most of the fish were in the 15 to 17 inch range. Love it when the electronics finds them piled up. Talked to another guy who said he caught 43 pitching the timber. So they were definitely biting.

Tom, do you mind sharing what you were using in the timber?

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 02:07 AM

Stratton...You can catch bass in the timber a number of ways. I have seen them caught on suspended jerkbaits...but I catch all mine on Texas rig worms. I use 7.5" Culprits, but whatever is your favorite will work just fine. Not sure if Tom actually fished the timber, but he said he talked to someone that did.

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Stratton...You can catch bass in the timber a number of ways. I have seen them caught on suspended jerkbaits...but I catch all mine on Texas rig worms. I use 7.5" Culprits, but whatever is your favorite will work just fine. Not sure if Tom actually fished the timber, but he said he talked to someone that did.

Steve, you are correct. I mis-read his post...He talked to someone who was pitching the timber. When you fish the timber, are you trolling around the whole time or posting up in a spot, casting around for a bit, them moving to the next spot? Also, when I hear "fishing the timber, I imagine casting right up next to any timber I can see coming up out of the water. I rarely think its more so just near or around the timber. in your experience, is it more so tossing right up next to the timber, or just being in and around timber, but dragging it through "open" water and pockets with in the timber?

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 11:55 AM

Steve is correct. I did not fish the timber that day. The gentleman I talked to said he was pitching up against the timber. So I assume it was a creature bait, worm or jig. He said he caught fish in timber all day and went cove to cove. I fished open water. If I can catch them there that's where I will stay as long as the wind is relatively reasonable. What that told me with my conversation at the ramp at the end of the day were the fish were active all over the lake. The open water around the standing timber contains a bunch of stumps as well. So when I fish it I target it both. Now I have at times while fishing the timber have found them stacked up in a spot and stayed there and caught a bunch. It's rare on that lake unless I have already figured out it's going to be a tough "reaction bite only" day, that when I catch a decent fish I don't stop and make multiple casts in the same area. Last year a friend of mine and I caught them in the timber on pop R's in every cove that had trees. If we got the bait up against the side of the standing timber they would clobber it. It was just about an all day bite. Crazy how many fish we caught.
Posted By: choclabdog

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TomRom
Steve is correct. I did not fish the timber that day. The gentleman I talked to said he was pitching up against the timber. So I assume it was a creature bait, worm or jig. He said he caught fish in timber all day and went cove to cove. I fished open water. If I can catch them there that's where I will stay as long as the wind is relatively reasonable. What that told me with my conversation at the ramp at the end of the day were the fish were active all over the lake. The open water around the standing timber contains a bunch of stumps as well. So when I fish it I target it both. Now I have at times while fishing the timber have found them stacked up in a spot and stayed there and caught a bunch. It's rare on that lake unless I have already figured out it's going to be a tough "reaction bite only" day, that when I catch a decent fish I don't stop and make multiple casts in the same area. Last year a friend of mine and I caught them in the timber on pop R's in every cove that had trees. If we got the bait up against the side of the standing timber they would clobber it. It was just about an all day bite. Crazy how many fish we caught.

Wow... a pop r in the timber. I can only imagine how many times I could hang that up. Not just on the underwater structure but I am sure i would wrap it around a tree limb about every 4th cast. Sure would be fun though on the few time i actually made a tangle free cast.

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 01/31/22 04:05 PM

It was tough for me to get it that close for sure. My buddy had no issue getting it beside the tree on every cast. What I had to do was pick an open spot and spot lock and make multiple casts. If you were a foot away from the tree they would not touch it. Like I said it was a crazy bite that day.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: The Coneheads (FCL 1/25/22) - 02/02/22 03:00 PM

Brings back plenty of memories of being on Fayette during the winter. Nice post and fish. Great job guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum