Texas Fishing Forum

What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year?

Posted By: CC22

What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/23/22 06:02 PM

I'll start...
Bluegill will come up to brine water.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/23/22 06:39 PM

State Record Gizzard Shad will sometimes hit a fly. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gar1970

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/23/22 06:41 PM

I've caught crappie, bluegill , mullet, and blue crabs all in one cast of my castnet eeks
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/23/22 07:54 PM

A little early, ask me next January.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/23/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
A little early, ask me next January.

Plus #1. thumb

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/24/22 08:11 PM

First time it ever happed to me after. I thought it was ill or lost.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/24/22 08:37 PM

I learned a LOT in 2021...Probably the most significant thing is that bass thrive in HOT water...100 degrees+ ...
Posted By: ifishlbj

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/24/22 10:55 PM

When you think you can’t fish a particular lure any slower but you can with great results! Amazing!
Posted By: karstopo

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/26/22 02:46 AM

Silver Perch, Bairdiella chrysoura, will take a fly and live in the local waters. I already knew this from previous years, but didn’t know what these fish were called.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 01/27/22 03:33 AM

How much work really interferes with fishing. Oh well it is what it is! woot

Side Note: Retirement is a long way off! juggle
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/02/22 02:57 PM

The older I get the slower I get!
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/07/22 02:14 PM

What is something you learned fishing in 2022
- too early, not fishing for another 2 mos., but in 2021:

I never knew what a white sucker was until I caught this sucka in a lake I didn't even know had them!
[Linked Image]

A mold I got last year produces a shape called Mojo Grub. At first I thought the body/tail proportions a bit odd (tail too long for body length) but fish confirmed its catchability:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Shortening the tail using a razor blade also proved the lure could catch fish - even this small bass hit it:
[Linked Image]

I poured some clear plastic lures and they did great catching fish:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

I was amazed when sunfish would come to where I was standing waiting for bread bits thrown to them:
[Linked Image]
Time was important: only from 11 am - 1 pm daily. Soon after that, 4 turtles joined the fun after hearing the surface splashes of fish charging the bread that hit the surface:
[Linked Image]

Nature baffles. Can't think of a better word.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/07/22 08:57 PM

Ask again at end of year, only been a few times....it's Feb.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/08/22 12:18 AM

Fish know when you lay your pole down... fish

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/22/22 07:56 AM

That sucka didn't stand a chance. Nice catch.
Posted By: Flags

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/22/22 06:21 PM

Where to get into some walleyes on Meredith
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/23/22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
State Record Gizzard Shad will sometimes hit a fly. roflmao

[Linked Image]

thats great

don't tease a moccasin
with a small hook
Posted By: David Newton

Re: What is something you learned fishing in 2022 that you didn't know last year? - 02/23/22 04:45 AM

Over the past year I've focused on the ultralite techniques mostly. Catching sunfish and small bass using small jigheads and soft plastics ala SenkoSam up above. Worked on my species id skills. Caught my first crappie.

Got a kayak as well so learned all about those adventures.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum