Texas Fishing Forum

your choice for a float

Posted By: SenkoSam

your choice for a float - 11/05/21 12:33 PM

I keep promising myself to float fish more often but one thing that doesn't change is my choice of floats - bottom-weighted oblong foam float.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Locally, most shoreline anglers cast them because the distance is amazing and hooksets a near sure thing at that distance. I thought buoyancy would be a problem going down, but even small gills pull them from the surface like they aren't there. Round plastic floats are a thing of the past but round-shaped floats aren't out. I have one that is round with pointed prongs above and below where small rubber bands connect it to the line. I weight the lure with sheet lead on the bottom prong for casting distance and a bit less buoyancy.
[Linked Image]

The only problem I have with these kinds of floats is the line that's attached to the lure going up and around the top where the line is attached. I suppose it happens because I'm using light jigs that somersault in the air.

What's your take on floats?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: your choice for a float - 11/05/21 01:24 PM

That’s the one I have used for several years. thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: your choice for a float - 11/05/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSam
I keep promising myself to float fish more often but one thing that doesn't change is my choice of floats - bottom-weighted oblong foam float.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Locally, most shoreline anglers cast them because the distance is amazing and hooksets a near sure thing at that distance. I thought buoyancy would be a problem going down, but even small gills pull them from the surface like they aren't there. Round plastic floats are a thing of the past but round-shaped floats aren't out. I have one that is round with pointed prongs above and below where small rubber bands connect it to the line. I weight the lure with sheet lead on the bottom prong for casting distance and a bit less buoyancy.
[Linked Image]

The only problem I have with these kinds of floats is the line that's attached to the lure going up and around the top where the line is attached. I suppose it happens because I'm using light jigs that somersault in the air.

What's your take on floats?

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: Flags

Re: your choice for a float - 11/05/21 11:16 PM

I really like the smallest pencil float by THILL. They are super sensitive. But to be truthful I rarely use a float unless I need to fish directly over weed beds.
Posted By: David Newton

Re: your choice for a float - 11/06/21 01:21 AM

Number 1 favorite is the Haedong Fishing HF-438. Preferably in the yellow. Slip float that attaches at the bottom. Very sensitive. Comes in multiple sizes with matching split shots to properly balance them. Most of the world uses the B, 2B, 3B, .5, 1.0, etc... system of float sizes/boyancy. The yellow portion on top is a plastic/rubber cup where you attach your chem lights for night fishing. This is like the super cheap red and white clip on round bobber of Korea. These each cost less than a dollar.

[Linked Image]

Second choice is the Thill Pro Series Slip Float. I prefer the smallest size they make. I think the model number is the PS105. This is a line through float that has good visibility and can cast a mile.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: your choice for a float - 11/06/21 05:06 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Laker One

Re: your choice for a float - 11/07/21 02:04 PM

Very rare occasions I use a float. When I do it is a slip float. coolio
Posted By: rickt300

Re: your choice for a float - 11/11/21 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Laker One

Same here.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: your choice for a float - 11/11/21 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Laker One

Same here.

+2
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: your choice for a float - 11/16/21 08:56 PM

Slip bobber.
Posted By: JMB73

Re: your choice for a float - 11/21/21 07:22 PM

Yesterday I tried a Rocket Bobber. Worked very well and gave me good cast distance with 6# mono.
Posted By: jagg

Re: your choice for a float - 11/24/21 04:50 PM

I really like Thill oval fixed floats in the 3/4" size for my fixed float fishing. I change from weighted to unweighted depending on what I need. I use a little bit bigger model when I use slip floats. Thill makes a jig weight specific crappie float that is aces. I really like their wobble bobber for windy days and long casts!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum