Texas Fishing Forum

Slabbin' on a New Place

Posted By: Flags

Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/24/21 11:56 PM

Today I put the tube on what is called the 100 acre freshwater pond by the Truscott Brine Lake. I wouldn't even have known about the place if a member named Whistlebritches hadn't told me about it. So a shout out to him!. It is kind of a neat place is you haven't been there. Kind of in an out of the way place even for the Panhandle. By the odometer on my truck it was 182 miles from Amarillo. But it was worth going to. The pond is surrounded by tall reeds and there is a bunch of standing dead timber in it.
[Linked Image]

I really wanted to get out in the timber and do some vertical jigging but the wind was wrong for the tube. So I used the wind to my advantage by launching the tube at the far end of the lake and let it just drift with the wind. Since I had never fished the lake I simply used the same tactic I use on Athens, 1/64th oz jig head with a piece of crawler. I let the jig drop to the bottom and brought it up about 6 inches and just slowly jigged it up and down as I was drifting. What works on Athens also works here. Really nice slabs in this lake.
[Linked Image]

Size wise they are a little smaller than what I get on Athens but bigger than what I get on Meredith but Meredith has better numbers. I'd guess the average fish today was a solid 8 inches or so and they were really thick, some nearly 2 inches broad across the back. Most of them were released to fight another day but I did keep 6. The smallest one took the hook deep and was bleeding from the gills. Cutting board is 12 inches wide for size reference. I also caught 2 little bitty bass fingerlings about 3 inches long. Saw a lot of little bass so it would probably be a good bass lake but I'd rather catch gills.

Life is good. Cheers Y'All
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 12:02 AM

Awesome post and some solid fish. Good job Sir. Looks like a pretty good fishing spot for sure. Nice find. thumb

How deep were the fish you were catching? noidea
Posted By: Flags

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
How deep were the fish you were catching? noidea

About 8 feet give or take.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 02:36 AM

Thanks Flags. thumb Love knowing the depth of water on other parts of the State where fish are being caught. Again "Perfect Eating Size" fish. cheers
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 02:39 AM

Nice report & beautiful orange sunfish !
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 08:03 PM

Nice stringer Flags............looks like a good time was had

Gonna have to service my old tube and head up there now that it's full again.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/25/21 11:50 PM

Great report Flags. Beautiful fish. Always great when you can go onto a lake cold and do well !!
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/27/21 12:19 PM

Fantastic find. Looks like a good place to fish. Nice post and fish. woot
Posted By: Lino_NTX

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/28/21 06:04 PM

Nice find, and smart thinking with the wind!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/28/21 06:11 PM

WTG Flags, nice gills!

Side note: Thats a good looking pond! thumb
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 07/28/21 10:15 PM

I love exploring new places. Really healthy looking fish, nice work.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Slabbin' on a New Place - 08/01/21 12:40 PM

Nice fish and post Flags. Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum