Texas Fishing Forum

What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish?

Posted By: danial S

What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/07/21 06:10 PM

Hey all! looking to get an ultralight set up and chase some of the smaller (But pretty) fish in texas creek! I'm looking to wade fish around Frisco, and was wondering what places you guys regularly visit? Im going to head out to panther creek this weekend to see if anything lives there (The water level should be relatively high given the past few days of rain) and hopefully get hooked up on some gills. Also, what ultralight setups do y'all use? I'm going to have to make do with a medium rod since I don't have anything lighter ATM but would love to indulge in ultralight setups for smaller bass and panfish. thanks in advance!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/08/21 10:20 PM

Definitely take a look at Stuart Creek on Google Earth.
It looks picturesque and very fishy. Also see lots of easy public access.

Wear a PFD. Creeks can have slippery banks and sudden deep holes.

PFD has saved me from several bad situations when creek fishing.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/08/21 10:31 PM

I use an AllStar light and a medium light dock shooter from Academy Sports.

You will hook into 3-4lb bass at times and possibly a catfish. Maybe some white bass and crappie if near the mouth of the creek also.

15lb braid to 6lb mono or copoly leader.

1/16oz ball head jig with 1-2inch curly tail grubs. Sometimes under a small bobber Walmart

1/8oz and 1/16oz roadrunners (Academy) with the same 1-2 inch grubs from Walmart or Academy.

Doesn’t hurt to tip the hooks with a small crappie nibble (Academy)

Worms are probably the best bait.

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/09/21 12:24 AM

thanks for the tips! i went out to Panther creek and was lucky enough to catch myself quite a few decent sunfish and a bass... it may not be as dead as I thought it to be! from today's trip alone, creek fishing definitely seems to be much more my pace and I'll definitely have to invest more into it
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/09/21 02:25 AM

I love the 5' Shakespeare Ugly Stick Combo. Academy has them at regular price at $40.00 Sometimes you can catch a sale and they are $29.99. Great with six pound test line. Great Bluegill/Sunfish rig. thumb

Side Note: Work well in creeks. cheers
Posted By: Vogey

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/09/21 12:15 PM

danial...Here are what I believe to be the 3 best ultra lite rigs...

Rods

1) St Croix Legend Elite Panfish series 5'6" (fast action)I believe this is the best panfish rod on the market. Super sensitive yet strong enough to land much larger fish. The only disadvantage to this rod is the price.
2) St Croix panfish series 5'4". Exceptional rod at less than half the price of the Legend Elite. This rod doesn't really feel like a true "fast action" like the Legend series, but still a great rod. I believe this is the rod that you see Jagg use in most of his videos.
3) Ugly stik e-lite (4'6) & GX2 (4'8") Probably the most durable rods out there, plus plenty sensitive with the fiberglass tip. Also, will fit into any budget. This rod also has the capability to land much larger fish.

Reel - I have had nothing but great luck with the Pflueger president reels...the smallest one in the series.

Line...I use fluorocarbon (Stren) in the 4 lb test. It does have memory issues, but if you soak it in water for 1 week before putting it on your reels, the problem is minimal. A lot of people prefer braid with a mono or Flouro leader, but I hate tying the extra knot.
Posted By: TomRom

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/09/21 02:16 PM

I use the braid. It’s super sensitive. I have had no increase the lb rating I use because 7 or 11 lb test braid I use is so thin it had to tie. I use no leader except for the drop shot weight. Does not seem to bother the fish. I fish with the daiwa KAGE ultra lite. $190. It’s super thin blank and I have broken it. Warranty got me a new one. No complaints except the blank is so thin I need to be careful stowing it or stepping on it. It casts a light rig like a rocket. With that said I would probably buy the St Croix doing it over again.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/09/21 03:18 PM

I use the Pflueger President light combos from Bass Pro. I have two of their combos. The 4'6" and the 5'. I also use six pound test line with no leader. Love both of them. Just under $100.00 but you can also get them for about $50.00 during a sale.
Posted By: Lino_NTX

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/10/21 09:18 PM

Hey Danial, curious to know where you put in at Panther Creek. I've been creek fishing in the Allen/Plano area but mostly Rowlett Creek which, from what you'll find on this forum, is very pressured. I've pulled out some monster green sunfish though so they're still in there!
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/10/21 10:02 PM

I know it is not a creek, but Prosper Town Lake has some monster sized gills. I like the set up that Banker mentions. Cheap and easy set up for just getting started. I have the Phlueger set up myself and I use it for gills and for carp fishing.

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/11/21 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lino_NTX
Hey Danial, curious to know where you put in at Panther Creek. I've been creek fishing in the Allen/Plano area but mostly Rowlett Creek which, from what you'll find on this forum, is very pressured. I've pulled out some monster green sunfish though so they're still in there!

This is basically why Im not simply going to Rowlett and the other more well-known creeks. there were three points that you can enter panther creek in. [Linked Image]

the green point is where i did enter the creek from, but the red point is where I found a deep pool where there were sizeable sunfish and gills. there was also a bass or two hanging around that point. i had to come back once i reached that point, but the stuff ahead only looked better. a few things to note- I saw two water moccasins, so it'd be wise to be wary of them. the water was absolutely crystal clear, and the fish could see you a mile away. they were quite skittish especially the smaller more "Average" sized sunfish. also, there's very little litter in this area! I'd prefer to keep it this way, so if you do end up heading down there bring a trash bag to store your own trash and pick up any you may stumble upon. Lastly, the place seems incredibly beautiful with almost no pressure. I would like to keep it that way, and hopefully have a little bluegill haven in the heart of Frisco. that would be quite nice, don't ya think? anyways there are three other creeks I've found in the area- cottonwood creek which can be accessed by the greenbelt, or by main, Stewarts creek which can be accessed by Parkwood, Stonebrook, legacy, and a few others, and lastly watters which can also be accessed by main. I have yet to try the other three, but hopefully they will prevail as much as panther creek did.
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/11/21 08:07 PM

Surprised Panther Creek holds any fish that far upstream. The creek is almost dry during the summer. Glad you found a little honey hole under Preston. I parked at Bethel Cemetery a walked the creek west to the railroad tracks and didn't see anything. Try Steward Creek in Grand Park. Nice recon map added to your thread. As far as fishing gear a ugly stick combo from Academy or Walmart is a cheap way to really get started, the fishing line is the most important part of your gear. Trilene Xt 4lb green and Strean mono 4lb gold are my go to lines for creek fishing. ( a bonus is you can see them in any light )

[Linked Image]

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/11/21 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by BigJoeTx1212
Surprised Panther Creek holds any fish that far upstream. The creek is almost dry during the summer. Glad you found a little honey hole under Preston. I parked at Bethel Cemetery a walked the creek west to the railroad tracks and didn't see anything. Try Steward Creek in Grand Park. Nice recon map added to your thread. As far as fishing gear a ugly stick combo from Academy or Walmart is a cheap way to really get started, the fishing line is the most important part of your gear. Trilene Xt 4lb green and Strean mono 4lb gold are my go to lines for creek fishing. ( a bonus is you can see them in any light )

[Linked Image]

quick question- I never really understood the reason for the high vis line? it seems quite popular in ultralight fishing, but if you see the line wouldn't it be safe to presume the fish do as well? I'm probably going to be heading out to Walmart this weekend to pick some more creek fishing stuff up. cant wait to get some more fish on the line!
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/12/21 05:32 PM

I use high vis line because I can see it easily when I need to tie a new knot, I can see what I'm doing in any light. Also when I am watching for a strike I can see to line twitch much better than clear line. Last thing I'd add is I'm older and it just makes fishing easier.

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/12/21 08:19 PM

I absolutely agree my friend! I've pulled out more trash than fish on the Rowlett. Thanks for the info!

I'm relatively new to this forum so idk if this is against the rules, but if there is any interest in hitting the creeks together, let me know! The other creek I frequent on this side of Collin Co is Wilson Creek. It has a mud bottom so visibility is shot with any amount of rain, but on sunny, bluebird skies, it is a good creek!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/12/21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lino_NTX
I absolutely agree my friend! I've pulled out more trash than fish on the Rowlett. Thanks for the info!

I'm relatively new to this forum so idk if this is against the rules, but if there is any interest in hitting the creeks together, let me know! The other creek I frequent on this side of Collin Co is Wilson Creek. It has a mud bottom so visibility is shot with any amount of rain, but on sunny, bluebird skies, it is a good creek!

welcome Lino NTX to the TFF! Looking forward to reading more of your post! thumb

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/13/21 08:33 PM

Thank you sir! I was a lurker for a while and learned a lot, so I'm excited to contribute now. Congrats on the 61k posts! Very impressive.
Posted By: fishinlectrician

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/14/21 05:07 PM

McKinney Town Lake is a good spot too, since you live in Mckinney....caught some good crappie there...!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/14/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BigJoeTx1212
I use high vis line because I can see it easily when I need to tie a new knot, I can see what I'm doing in any light. Also when I am watching for a strike I can see to line twitch much better than clear line. Last thing I'd add is I'm older and it just makes fishing easier.

+1

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/14/21 05:24 PM

I'll have to target crappie next time I go then! I've been skunked three times out there while targeting bass, trout, and bluegills. I didn't realize there were crappie in there.
Posted By: TexasZman

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/14/21 05:28 PM

I saw someone mentioned fishing Wilson Creek - where do you access? I'd like to fly fish it, but there may be too much overhead growth.

Re: What are some nice creeks around frisco to wadefish for gills and sunfish? - 05/17/21 05:56 PM

Hey Zman, I access Wilson Creek right off of highway 380. There's a subdivision with a pond located next to the river. There is a paved trail that goes around the pond and will put you right by the creek. There's not a lot of space, but where the trail hits the creek is a nice deep hole. I've only seen a few folks out there so it doesn't seem to be pressured too much just yet.

For whatever it's worth, the pond is really shallow and I don't believe it holds many fish, if any. But, I only fished it maybe 30 mins since the creek interested me more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum