Texas Fishing Forum

San Antonio River

Posted By: David Newton

San Antonio River - 04/17/21 05:53 PM

Happy Saturday everyone.

I needed some exercise so I went running this morning between Conception Park and Espada Park. Made me curious about fishing this river. Took a look at a few holes and saw a decent amount of life down there.

What do you all recommend, or not recommend, about fishing this river? Any good spots I should hit up? Doesn't have to be in downtown either. I would prefer some out of the way spots.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: San Antonio River - 04/18/21 12:50 AM

I have fished the San Antonio River a lot over the years. Conception Park and Espada Park are good places to fish and yes there are some fish to be caught in those spots. These places were loaded with nice Rios, Tilapia, and carp. Got I feeling that the freeze of 2021 killed off most of the Rios and Tilapia there. I also had caught some nice Bluegill and Redbreast. I use worms and fish down from the dam. There is a nice secluded area at the very east end of Espada Park. Good water and not many people. I would also make sure I was out of there by dark. Your chances of running into trouble go way up. I also fish a lot where the river runs by East Mulberry Street. Rios and Bluegill are there. I have not fished the San Antonio River this year so I do not know how many Rios if any survived this past freeze. I used ultralight tackle. I use both bottom and float techniques. Nice river and the parks department has done a great job improving the parks. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: San Antonio River - 04/18/21 01:45 PM

I have fished the San Antonio River by kayak several times over the years. Had nice trips. Caught small bass, some descent Redbreast and descent Rios. The Bluegill I caught were all small. I was using small spinner baits. Fished the east end of Espada Park. Like BAF said, I would be out of there after dark. coolio
Posted By: FishinAg02

Re: San Antonio River - 04/19/21 06:17 PM

interesting, i was looking at camping at goliad... anyone fish the san antonio around the state park?
Posted By: jagg

Re: San Antonio River - 04/23/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by David Newton
Happy Saturday everyone.

I needed some exercise so I went running this morning between Conception Park and Espada Park. Made me curious about fishing this river. Took a look at a few holes and saw a decent amount of life down there.

What do you all recommend, or not recommend, about fishing this river? Any good spots I should hit up? Doesn't have to be in downtown either. I would prefer some out of the way spots.

If you look through my channel and my River Fishing play list, I have quite a few trips from the areas between I-10 Confluence Park and 4-10 Mission Espada. There are plenty hidden gems on that stretch alone, not to mention further upstream and some of the creeks that come in. Ultra light and Light gear is a must in my experience and hard lure and soft lures from 3/4” to 4” do excellent. Spinner baits if the water is rising and/or if it’s at or above pool; jigs and plastics if it’s falling and under pool. This time of year crawfish colored anything will do the trick as long as the river is not too low
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum