Texas Fishing Forum

How to certify a water body record?

Posted By: z289sec

How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 12:27 AM

Never caught a record fish before, and I just caught a 12 plus inch Red Ear Sunfish, out of the Trinity. I'm keeping him alive in my bait tank. I called the game warden, and he said that would be ok, till I can get to a certified scale. On Easter Sunday at 7 p.m. that ain't happening today. Do I just call TPWD tomorrow?

Never been out fishing for bait, and caught a record. LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 02:38 AM

There is no record for a Redear sunfish on the Trinity so you have a record fish. Check the public scales on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Web Page. It is in the Fish Records and Awards section . Hope there is a certified scale in your area. If not you can check with local feed stores, meat markets, and even grocery stores. A scale that is used to weigh record fish need to be calibrated once a year. Usually scales used to sale food or grain products are calibrated yearly. Make sure you have the serial number of the scale, and the scale location. Also the name of the person who weighed your fish. The records Application has all of the information that needs to be completed. You can pull the application off of the TPW Web Site. Three photos are needed. One showing the length of the fish, one showing the girth of the fish, and one showing the angler holding the fish. This photos along with the completed records application need to be sent to the Texas Parks & Wildlife. The address is on the application. You can also file the application electronically over the web. Instructions on on the TPW web site as well. If you cannot find a scale you can get a catch & release water body record. 10" minimum length is required. There is also no C&R record for the Trinity River for Redear Sunfish. You will need to complete the Records Application and only need two photos. Photo #1 showing the length of the fish and photo #2 showing the angler holding the fish. You would also need a witness to both the catch and the release of the fish. I will PM you my phone number. If you have any questions please give me a call. You have a Record fish. (Two Records) Congratulations. cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 02:43 AM

PM sent! thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 04:16 AM

Awesome fish! Congrats cheers
Posted By: Laker One

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
There is no record for a Redear sunfish on the Trinity so you have a record fish. Check the public scales on the Texas Parks and Wildlife Web Page. It is in the Fish Records and Awards section . Hope there is a certified scale in your area. If not you can check with local feed stores, meat markets, and even grocery stores. A scale that is used to weigh record fish need to be calibrated once a year. Usually scales used to sale food or grain products are calibrated yearly. Make sure you have the serial number of the scale, and the scale location. Also the name of the person who weighed your fish. The records Application has all of the information that needs to be completed. You can pull the application off of the TPW Web Site. Three photos are needed. One showing the length of the fish, one showing the girth of the fish, and one showing the angler holding the fish. This photos along with the completed records application need to be sent to the Texas Parks & Wildlife. The address is on the application. You can also file the application electronically over the web. Instructions on on the TPW web site as well. If you cannot find a scale you can get a catch & release water body record. 10" minimum length is required. There is also no C&R record for the Trinity River for Redear Sunfish. You will need to complete the Records Application and only need two photos. Photo #1 showing the length of the fish and photo #2 showing the angler holding the fish. You would also need a witness to both the catch and the release of the fish. I will PM you my phone number. If you have any questions please give me a call. You have a Record fish. (Two Records) Congratulations. cheers

If anyone would know. Chuck would. flehan

Side Note. Nice fish. woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 03:35 PM

What's above. Totally agree. Nice fish and congratulations.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 06:57 PM

Nice fish. It should get you a waterbody record, and catch and release waterbody record, if you can release it alive. It will also get you a big fish award certificate. It looks like Banker-always fishing has you covered with how to get a record. The only thing I would add is that since you indicated that you caught the fish with a cane pole, that is a different category for state records. Assuming the cane pole does not have a reel, the other methods record for a redear sunfish is 2.02 pounds, so you could have a shot at that. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: How to certify a water body record? - 04/05/21 09:03 PM

Nice record woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum