Texas Fishing Forum

Trophy defined

Posted By: Curt0407

Trophy defined - 01/16/21 01:53 PM

I am now geared up for my new venture into the sunfish fishery. Just curious what you guys consider a trophy size (length) for the various sunfish. I am looking forward to the warmer water this spring. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Trophy defined - 01/16/21 02:40 PM

Any sunfish that goes more than 11 inches is a trophy in my book. Others may have a different standard but that is where I place the definition. Where I do most of my serious gill fishing on Lake Athens I can get 9 and 10 inch fish pretty easily. But at 11 inches they start to get real scarce. My personal best on that lake was about 12 1/2. I'm pretty sure I have broke the lake record there at least 5 time but I like to turn the bigger ones loose as soon as I land them and haven't bothered trying to register one.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Trophy defined - 01/16/21 03:40 PM

Texas Parks & Wildlife has a list of fish on their web site. (Elite Angler) section rules. The list also is the same list for the minimum length for a catch & release record. For sunfish it is 10 inches. Rio's are 9 inches. I go by that list. woot

Side Note: Also a Trophy Fish is what ever an angler considers a trophy in his own personal view. coolio
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Trophy defined - 01/16/21 04:25 PM

Any fish is a trophy fish in my book! Have fun Sir and look forward to seeing some of reports and catches.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Trophy defined - 01/16/21 04:39 PM

Laker, I totally agree with your definition based on the way an angler feels about his or her catch.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Trophy defined - 01/16/21 05:36 PM

I go by the Texas Parks & Wildlife standard for trophy fish. As stated above they have a list in the Elite Angler Rules on the minimum length of a fish to qualify for both a Big Fish Award and a Catch & Release Water Body Record. Five Big Fish Awards from five different species will get you the Elite Angler Award. This is for both fresh water and salt water. When I say trophy fish in my post they are sunfish 10" or better. They are also Rios 9" or better. cheers

Side Note: Like has already been stated by Curtis (Laker One) A trophy fish is what ever an angler wants it to be . thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum