Texas Fishing Forum

Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front!

Posted By: jagg

Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 07:58 PM

I was able to get out on the yak yesterday and get to a new section of the "big" lake that's out here. It's been below 45 for a couple of weeks and the cold has started to set in but yesterday was a high of 65, so that was a pleasant turn around. My GoPro was malfunctioning so no video this time. Too bad, because after paddling around quite a bit and fishing quite a bit of rain, I did finally catch some quality panfish and bass as well! At least I'll have some new spots to try for next time! Y'all stay safe and stay warm!

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 08:03 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 08:10 PM

Caught em all on my trusty 6’9” St Croix Panfish Series rod. Ultra Light power Fast action. 6lb Green Berkeley Nanofil tied to a 4lb Maxima Ultragreen mono leader (about 2.5’ of leader). My trusty size 25 Pflueger President XT. 1/32nd VMC neon moon eye jig with a avocado glitter Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider grub.

I was catching them on the fall and also just slowly sliding that grub across the bottom near a downed tree and another section of tree roots.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 09:00 PM

Jagg...Those are some MONSTERS ! looks like you are catching much bigger fish up north ...wtg
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 09:11 PM

nice catch
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 09:35 PM

Nice post and fish. Awesome job Jagg.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/25/20 09:47 PM

WTG jagg thats a nice perch! cheers Merry Christmas and Sunny K
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 11:06 AM

Torry! You have a very nice fishing hole. Did not take you long at all to start catching super fish in the great Northeast. Solid post and solid fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 02:33 PM

Jagg you are catching some SOLID FISH! Nicely done. woot

Side Note: That is a nice Perch. How big do they usually get where you are fishing? noidea

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Jagg...Those are some MONSTERS ! looks like you are catching much bigger fish up north ...wtg

I appreciate it, Vogey! Not as many fishable rivers and creeks up here. At least that I've found in the state yet. Bigger ponds and lakes tend to make for bigger species if there is enough predator activity.

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by FlyFX
nice catch

Appreciate it, FX!

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Nice post and fish. Awesome job Jagg.

Thanks, GD! cheers Having to fish around fronts over here. Not confident enough to fish on the kayak when the high air temps are in the 30's. I don't know if ill ever be there.

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pot licker
WTG jagg thats a nice perch! cheers Merry Christmas and Sunny K

Definitely appreciate the love, Pot Licker! It stayed down and fought like a big redbreast for a while. Imagine my surprise when I see this big ole perch! Merry Christmas to you and Gar1970 too!! angel

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Torry! You have a very nice fishing hole. Did not take you long at all to start catching super fish in the great Northeast. Solid post and solid fish. Good job. thumb

I appreciate the support, Chuck! It took longer than I wanted it to, but can't complain much since we are safe and getting on them fairly consistently now. It's nice to get out to different parts of the country and see different places and catch different types of fish. Great experience even if we have to go away from my native TX.

Side Note: That's my PB Black Crappie! 12.75"

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/26/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One

Side Note: That is a nice Perch. How big do they usually get where you are fishing? noidea

Thanks LO! We are doing our best up here to get acclimated and get out and still do our thing and enjoy the new surroundings.

From what I hear, a trophy is over 12" so this one was just under that. A good, respectable fish is over 10".
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Christmas Eve fishing! Pre Front! - 12/27/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jagg
Originally Posted by Laker One

Thanks LO! We are doing our best up here to get acclimated and get out and still do our thing and enjoy the new surroundings.

From what I hear, a trophy is over 12" so this one was just under that. A good, respectable fish is over 10".

Thanks Jagg. Keep those videos coming. woot
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum