Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out)

Posted By: Vogey

Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/03/20 01:56 PM

Fished Fayette yesterday with Doc from daybreak til 5pm. Water temp was 79-81 degrees & down around 6 inched from last week. The bite for sunfish has slowed significantly, but we still managed to get 135 total...4 bass, 7 or 8 Rios & the rest sunnies. The bluegill & Red Ear have all but totally disappeared from our 3 favorite spots, but we managed to locate a few virgin off shore colonies that were holding some really good quality fish. It's real nice to have a good bird dog like Doc, who can sniff them out when the bite is slow. Almost all fish caught on Gulp Alive minnows, but Doc did catch a few on a small crankbait. The countdown is on, now that the water temp is dipping below 80...In a few weeks I think the season will be over for sunfish...On the bright side, the bass bite seems to be picking up. The fall is a great time to be on the water on Fayette as the trees start to turn color...Just hoping we don't have a fish kill like last year...so far so good... We also found a "Bandit" trapped in the trash bin & notified the authorities...hopefully to be set free soon...[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/03/20 01:59 PM

fish clap
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/03/20 02:07 PM

Not bad at all for a "Slow Day" on Fayette. I would take a day like that anytime! Great job guys. woot
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/03/20 10:54 PM

Fayette Keeps on Keeping on! Great fishing guys. cheers

Side Note: How was the boat traffic? noidea

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 02:30 AM

Thanks Curt, Curtis & Chuck...Boat traffic was pretty light...only a few boats out. I know we are spoiled rotten from such a great year ! But it is still quite a shock going from 50-100 fish off each of the main areas almost every trip, down to 0-10 fish. fish
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 03:20 AM

It’s time for the perch to heal their lips and for perch men to switch gears.

It’s been a fabulous sunfish season with many good times to be thankful for !

I’m beginning to detect the scent of some black and white bass in the cooling air. grin
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 03:16 PM

Vogey you guys have had one GREAT year of catching some very BIG sunfish. I have enjoyed everyone of your post and videos. You Sir have made one difficult year a GREAT year. Fishing wise I would think this year would be very hard to beat. Nicely done.

Side Note: Is the upgrade to Oak Thicket completed?

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 03:37 PM

Thanks Gitter...I believe the upgrades are mostly done...but not sure of all their plans. I can say that the boat slips now have cleats & rubber padding installed. The reeds have been sprayed around the launch area & some of the cabins, that will make it easier for bank fishermen in the future.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 04:49 PM

Nice post Vogey. coolphotosi like the last one, nice how you included the racoon. thumb

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/04/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Thanks Curt, Curtis & Chuck...Boat traffic was pretty light...only a few boats out. I know we are spoiled rotten from such a great year ! But it is still quite a shock going from 50-100 fish off each of the main areas almost every trip, down to 0-10 fish. fish

Thanks Steve! I have also noticed this past week that I have had my fishing spots just about all to myself. Hope it stays that way for awhile. thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/05/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Thanks Gitter...I believe the upgrades are mostly done...but not sure of all their plans. I can say that the boat slips now have cleats & rubber padding installed. The reeds have been sprayed around the launch area & some of the cabins, that will make it easier for bank fishermen in the future.

Thanks Vogey! Love that park and glad to know some nice upgrades were made!
Posted By: cellis

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/05/20 07:01 PM

Great job fellas cheers
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/06/20 09:33 PM

I went to Fayette today. Caught 4 bass early and then nothing. Bluegill bite was non existent. Saw a ton of fish deep on the Livescope but they were not interested. There were several large bait balls that were out in the deeper water and I could see fish come up and smack them. But they were not interested in what I was throwing. Probably next trip I will break out the jigging spoons and go after them that way. Steve, I think you are right that the shallow Fayette bluegill bite is taking a rest until next spring.

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/06/20 10:11 PM

Dang...I knew it was close...I can't make it out this week, but hope to hit it next week. I need to dust off the bass gear !

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/06/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TomRom
I went to Fayette today. Caught 4 bass early and then nothing. Bluegill bite was non existent. Saw a ton of fish deep on the Livescope but they were not interested. There were several large bait balls that were out in the deeper water and I could see fish come up and smack them. But they were not interested in what I was throwing. Probably next trip I will break out the jigging spoons and go after them that way. Steve, I think you are right that the shallow Fayette bluegill bite is taking a rest until next spring.

OMG What No Bluegill's on Fayette! What a difference a few days make! hide2
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Fayette 10-2-20 (Down but not Out) - 10/07/20 12:45 AM

Well the fishing forecast said today was going to be poor. I went many other times when the forecast was this bad and the bass bite was bad, but the bluegill bite was really good. So Steve the shallow bluegill bite might have taken a break until next spring.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum