Texas Fishing Forum

Giants of the Canyon !

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/05/20 08:35 PM

Made a trip deep into "God's Country", the Nueces Canyon. Fished several locations before finding the "Giants of The Canyon"! HUGE RIOS ! Had to walk on some steep river rock bank but it was very much worth it. Also had to fish in some showers throughout the trip. It was overcast the whole time but still very much humid and hot. Caught about the thirty GIANT RIOS all the 10.5 " to the 11.5" range, fat,healthy, and very full of fight. Most were drag pullers. Rounding out the catch were about 20 more fish including Hybrid Sunfish, Redear, and Large Mouth Bass. The Hybrid and Redear were all in the 9" range with a couple going right at 10". The bass were in the 12 to 15 inch range. Had one bass that had to be at least 6 to 8 pounds chasing a 10" plus Rio that I had hooked and was reeling in. Fish were located by a drop off leading to a deeper pocket of water. Fish were all in grass beds and the water was clear. Rios were traveling in schools of about 15 fish each. All fish were caught on ultralight tackle using worms. All were released. Left em biting. I then drove over to Leo's "Gar-1970 and Yesenia's -Pot Licker" house where Yesenia had made an "OUT OF THIS WORLD" Spaghetti and Meat Sauce lunch including fresh French Bread, salad, and fresh lemon aide. For desert a fresh baked coffee cake. Fishing the Nueces Canyon and meeting up with good friends. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/05/20 08:54 PM

Chuck...Those are some beautiful Rios...I want the address to Leo & Yesinias restaurant ! It sounds like a 5 star place smile
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/05/20 09:13 PM

Good on you..... That sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Very cool!!!! I lost many memories following my stroke. Some of those type of memories can't be purchased back with bars of gold. Treasure them for as long as you can. I would say I'm jealous but that would mean I'm just a human. Snub that!!!!! Congratulations instead roflmao
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/05/20 10:02 PM

Way to go sir. Good fishing, good friends, and good food makes for one heck of a rewarding day.

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/05/20 10:44 PM

Thanks Steve, Steve Bob,and Curt0407 for the replies. cheers Steve: Yes Sir Yesenia is one SUPER cook, not to mention, Super Angler, Holds many of water body records, catches BIG fish most of the time, and oh yea makes baits that catch anything that swims. The address of her restaurant is "Deep in the Hart of the Nuecess Canyon"! flehan SteveBOB: Yes Sir "Life Time" Memories are PRICELESS. God has given me many. By his loving grace I hope to make a lot more. angel2 Curt0402: You are 100 percent RIGHT! cheers
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/06/20 12:10 AM

Thanks for sharing - those are some beautiful Rios. cool
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/06/20 02:12 AM

Those are some niiice rios Chuck! It was really nice visiting with you and having lunch. Glad you enjoyed my spaghetti. thumb

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/06/20 03:16 PM

Thanks Scoundrel and Yesenia for the replies. cheers Yesenia: The next time I visit I was going to take you and Leo to the Pizza Palace. After your fantastic lunch I am having second thoughts. hmmm Might just have to go to Uvalde for a steak dinner! thumb

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/06/20 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Thanks Scoundrel and Yesenia for the replies. cheers Yesenia: The next time I visit I was going to take you and Leo to the Pizza Palace. After your fantastic lunch I am having second thoughts. hmmm Might just have to go to Uvalde for a steak dinner! thumb

Chuck pizza is my weakness id rather have that over steak anytime thumb
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/07/20 03:45 AM

The Rio master strikes again bow_down
What a great day to catch that many trophy Rio's on one trip! I regret not walking down and fishing with you bang
Thank you for having lunch with us! We really enjoy your company and listening to your stories cheers
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/07/20 08:47 AM

Great story, beautiful pictures, fantastic fish, good friends. What more can you ask for. smile
Posted By: HitEmTrue

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/09/20 08:44 PM

Sounds like a great time.

Thanks for sharing...enjoy reading your stories!
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/09/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Great story, beautiful pictures, fantastic fish, good friends. What more can you ask for. smile

x2

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/15/20 02:34 AM

Thanks Leo, Barry, HitEmTrue, F4Gator for the replies. thumb Leo: The next time I will have Rick aka Catyakker with me. Yesenia: I will buy at the Pizza Palace! thumb
Posted By: cellis

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/15/20 03:03 PM

Sounds like an epic trip! Congratulations! cheers You've got some great friends and found some great fishing! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/15/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Thanks Leo, Barry, HitEmTrue, F4Gator for the replies. thumb Leo: The next time I will have Rick aka Catyakker with me. Yesenia: I will buy at the Pizza Palace! thumb

bannana2
Posted By: SK.

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/15/20 11:45 PM

Sounds like a awesome trip, good company, beautiful scenery, good exercise, plenty of nice fish caught and a tasty lunch..... With it being humid I'll bet y'all didn't frown at those showers.....

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/21/20 09:56 PM

Thanks Cellis and SK for the replies. thumb SK: Those showers can cool you down for sure. cheers Yesenia: Pizza Palace for sure the next time. food
Posted By: jagg

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/25/20 09:00 PM

Yeah, the Rios will be doing the wolf pack thing for the next couple months out there. They'll be deeper for sure. Gotta know how to fish deep and what deep water to fish. Not a problem for the Champ!!
Posted By: Catyakker

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 09/25/20 09:42 PM

Hey Chuck, is the Pizza Palace that place where the waiters carry guns on there hip...you know where them fellas from Austin kinda of nervous. roflmao

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 10/01/20 12:41 PM

Thanks Torry and Rick for the replies. cheers Rick: That's the place. Very well protected and a GREAT place to eat. food
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 10/09/20 01:57 PM

Those are some HUGE Rios but you seem to catch them regularly. You also fish some very beautiful places all over Texas! Keep living the dream! rockon

Side Note: What area of Texas in your opinion has the BIGGEST Rios? noidea

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 10/16/20 02:35 AM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. This has been a AWESOME year for catching some BIG RIOS! cheers

Side Note: The Nueces Canyon by far has the BIGGEST RIOS! flehan

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 10/21/20 01:22 PM

Thanks Chuck. Hope you continue to get those Big Rios. woot

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 10/28/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One
Thanks Chuck. Hope you continue to get those Big Rios. woot

Got a good feeling that a lot of those BIG Rios will be in hiding with these latest cold fronts that blew through. hide2
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 11/08/20 05:38 PM

Super Rios Chuck. Good job. You spent some time fishing the Canyon this year. Any new records caught there?

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 11/22/20 06:47 AM

Thanks Gitter for the reply. cheers The spring,summer, and fall bite has been good in the canyon. The record bar is high. Caught plenty of trophy fish but no records. Just fishing the canyon makes it all worth while. The records do not figure in it at all. thumb

Side Note: Pray for a very WET winter! banana banana banana banana banana Rain Dance times 5.
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 12/01/20 02:54 PM

Thanks Chuck. Yes Sir you guys have set the bar high on some of you fishing holes for sure. Also I totally agree about the WET winter. We need the RAIN! banana

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 12/08/20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Thanks Chuck. Yes Sir you guys have set the bar high on some of you fishing holes for sure. Also I totally agree about the WET winter. We need the RAIN! banana

banana banana banana banana banana Rain Dance X 5.

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 12/18/20 11:45 AM

What would be the outlook for the Rio bite in 2021 if this upcoming winter and spring is a dry one?

Re: Giants of the Canyon ! - 12/18/20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Laker One
What would be the outlook for the Rio bite in 2021 if this upcoming winter and spring is a dry one?

If we do not get some descent rain during the winter months the Rio bite will not be all that good! They thrive in water bodies with warm water and current. A lot of the water bodies I catch nice Rios in are extremely low and need some rain. de

Side Note: Let's hope for a very WET winter! banana (Rain Dance Time).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum