Texas Fishing Forum

Meredith Mixed Bag

Posted By: Flags

Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/15/20 09:16 PM

I just got off the water at Meredith. Spent about 6 very productive hours in the tube. Tried a couple of different places with success in nearly all but some were definitely better than others. The first place I tried was a little off the boat ramp. There is an old structure there that kind of looks like an old fishing barge. I hit it just after sunrise and got some small sunfish there that were in the 3-4 inch range so I didn't spend much time there. I decided to try some rocky shorelines and was kicking over to them and decided to troll along a Bobby Garland in Monkey Milk and the darnedest thing happened, I caught a small carp on it. That is the first time I have ever got a carp on a Bobby Garland. I've caught them on regular marabou jigs but never on plastics.
[Linked Image]

Along the rocky shoreline I switched over to my regular jig head and worm and began betting sunfish pretty regular. Nothing huge but a good solid 5-6 inch average. Fat and feisty fish.
[Linked Image]

I then went over to the tires where I was before and spent a little time tossing a white jig. I took a jew sunfish on it and then hooked what I think was a bass that broke me off. That was the only white jig I had and nothing would hit a different color so it was back the a jighead and worm. I caught a lot of sunfish. Didn't bother keeping count but wouldn't be surprised if I hit triple digits. Most were around 6 inches but a few better fish were mixed in.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For the most part the sunfish were all gills but I did get 2 that I think were redeye sunfish. At least they looked like the pictures I looked up. I'm not up on all the different types of sunfsh so I may be wrong on that. In addition to the sunfish I got 2 small channel cats at the tires. Both times I have been there I have caught small cats. I may need to take some weights and treble hooks and put some bait on the bottom to see if any bigger cats are in the area.
[Linked Image]

All in all it was a really good day. I was hoping to get some walleye but haven't got them figured out yet. All fish were released to fight another day. Life is good.

Cheers Y'All.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 12:27 AM

Nice variety of Texas fish. Nicely done. thumb
Posted By: Vogey

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 01:26 AM

Great report Flags...have you ever given the gulp alive minnows a try ?
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 02:05 AM

Great report. Stay after it and you will find the walleye.
Posted By: psalty

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Nice variety of Texas fish. Nicely done. thumb

X2
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 12:43 PM

Sounds like a fun productive day. Well done.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 12:59 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. Need to make it up there. Would love to catch a Walleye. woot
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 05:08 PM

A Texas variety! Nicely done.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/16/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vogey
Great report Flags...have you ever given the gulp alive minnows a try ?

No I haven't. May need to though seeing the posts you make.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/17/20 02:46 AM

Wtg Flags, nice combo! clap
Posted By: SK.

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/18/20 12:30 PM

Sound like a great day on the water with some very nice catches.....Stay At'um.....
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/18/20 01:10 PM

Nice cheers
Posted By: Lon Hagler

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/18/20 01:37 PM

It is great to see this fishery is well on its way to recovery after nearly drying up five years ago. The walleye are deep these days, but here in the next month or two they should really be turning on so get ready.
Posted By: campbell8300

Re: Meredith Mixed Bag - 08/18/20 02:58 PM

I was on Meredith Saturday as well.
Found a couple bluegills around bird island.
We were drifting chartreuse jigs with minnows.
Was really after walleye but they weren't interested.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also dropped (6) jugs along the north side just above the dam.
They were rigged with little smokies and in about 40' of water.
Soaked all day but no takers. Bummer.
I too am after those mythical Meredith walleye.
I looked at the stocking history on TPWD. 7-1/2 million fry since 2016 stocked.
They're in there somewhere.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum