Texas Fishing Forum

OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish

Posted By: dhuffman

OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/29/20 07:31 PM

Does anyone know the species of sunfish that are in OH Ivie. I have found them spawning before and had a ball. I was at that lake a week ago and found them out around the islands. They are larger than what I would typically call a sunfish, but I do not know the species. Do any of you know? They are fantastic eating and big enough to fillet if you would like. I cant find any additional information on them, if you have any insight. I am planning on rigging a rod and a box or two specifically for them. Mid-day if the bass aren't biting, I will have something to go chase that will fill the freezer with some good eating.

Thanks,
David
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/29/20 08:39 PM

I am sure you will go some pretty good replies. The anglers might not know about OH Ivie but would know the types of sunfish found in those type of waters.

Side Note: Let us know how you do and post some pictures.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/29/20 09:35 PM

Bluegill, Redear,Redbreast, Green Sunfish, Longear, and Warmouth are the six species of sunfish. Texas Parks&Wildlife has descriptions and other information about each fish on their web site. For sure you will have Bluegill. Good possibility you might have some Redear and maybe even Redbreast. Let us know how you do. thumb

Side Note: I have never fished OH Ivie Lake. noidea
Posted By: Laker One

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/30/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Bluegill, Redear,Redbreast, Green Sunfish, Longear, and Warmouth are the six species of sunfish. Texas Parks&Wildlife has descriptions and other information about each fish on their web site. For sure you will have Bluegill. Good possibility you might have some Redear and maybe even Redbreast. Let us know how you do. thumb

Side Note: I have never fished OH Ivie Lake. noidea

Totally Agree! woot
Posted By: Flags

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/30/20 04:43 PM

Per the TPWD page on the lake, the only sunfish listed are bluegill and the lake is rated as "poor" for them.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/o_h_ivie/

But it does list the lake as being good for crappie and white bass. I'm betting if the fishing is good for those 2 species it should also be good for bluegill but I'm thinking not many people fish for them. Only way to find out for sure is to buy some worms and have at it.
Posted By: boocat

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 06/30/20 07:27 PM

I can't say they have alot but my friend has a weekend place there and I have seen the pics of the "Vogey" sized bluegill she has caught.
Posted By: Vogey

Re: OH Ivie Reservoir Perch/Sunfish - 07/01/20 01:38 AM

O.H. Ivie Lake
Texas Parks and Wildlife gave O.H. Ivie Lake an "excellent" rating for its availability of bluegill and other sunfish. Located 55 miles from San Angelo in Central Texas, this reservoir’s basin was not cleared prior to filling, so O.H. Ivie Lake now contains thousands of acres of flooded forest that provides an ideal habitat for bluegill. The lake has three public recreation areas with parking, restrooms and courtesy docks. Fishermen can purchase live bait at the Concho and Kennedy Recreation Areas.

This is part of an article in USA Today (2018) about bluegill fishing in Texas. The Texas Parks and Wildlife page for the lake I fished last week (I call Notfayette) does not even list Bluegill under angling opportunities ! Only bass & catfish. My point is that the info you see on their websites are VERY general & can't be taken too seriously. If you have seen pictures or actually caught them, and they are bigger than the typical bluegill than my guess is that they are Coppernose Bluegill. The ones in Fayette get pretty BIG. Post some pics & we will for sure identify them...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum